News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody out there know about double reverse polarity guard

Started by Payphone installer, August 18, 2018, 07:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

So when I was a residence installer at Cincinnati Bell Telephone we often came across double reverse polarity guard. Does anybody know what it is? 

dsk

May it be as simple as a rectifier VS a diode as a single or simple polarity guard?

dsk

Key2871

Well a polarity guard is to maintain polarity of applied voltage. So a double reverse would be double protection of the primary reason of a polarity guard. But I'm thinking it has something to do with coin relays in payphone circuits?
KEN

RB

Payphone installer

When we first started having competition back in the late 1980 from telecom companies taking over our business there as a new type of technician that started to appear on the seen that had a bunch of terms that we did not recognize. Many of them were quite uppity and snooty when you went on a job. so one business installer came up with the term double reverse polarity guard. So after installing the dial tone we would often look at the tech and say your dial tone is in with all your features including DRPG. I was a riot every time. Very few would ask you what it was as they did not want to admit they didn't known.  To this day in my telephone business when I come across newbie I  still throw out the term just for fun as it stumps  them every time. So now you know something that is a top secret telephone term have some fun with it.

Key2871

KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on August 22, 2018, 08:11:15 PM
So the question was a ruse, it doesn't exist.
It has a definition so it does "exist".
It isn't a physical item. but it really doesn't matter.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

OK, so tell us what a double reverse polarity guard is?
If it exist.
KEN

dsk

;D ;D  we had a similar thing in a Norwegian radio scetch: "dobbel fustasj-opphengs-forkobling"

This is absolutely not translatable, but i t sounds like an important part of a car or machinery.

Thank you for the story. 

dsk