News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Its Going to Be a Heat Wave!

Started by DavePEI, June 29, 2014, 02:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Take this as the opposite of the "Let it Snow, Let it Snow" thread from this winter/spring.

THings have stayed quite cool on PEI until yesterday -- pretty typical for June, then yesterday, we went into the Summer Doldrums!

Temperatures went from an average 55 degrees f. to am average now of 86 plus f. Now, I know for you guys from the Southern States, that is nothing, but when we get those heats, it is with extremely high humidities -- the end result is that people used to the cooler temperatures will boil. Unlike houses in the south, the average house here has no A/C.

So for me with my breathing difficulties, etc. it is unbearable. Well, today, I did something that will help with that.  I finally broke down and bought a Frigidaire 9000 BTU Portable AC! This is the type which site on the floor and intakes and exhausts via hoses to the window.

Should make things a lot more pleasant here! Ahhh, the cool air!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Good that you bought the A/C.

Your post reminded me of the Twilight Zone episode "The Midnight Sun", where the earth is getting increasingly closer to the sun and the earth begins to heat up and each day gets hotter.  Society goes bonkers over this and much looting goes on.  Then suddenly, the scene changes and what we thought was going on was really someone was having a dream because in "reality" the opposite was happening and it was getting colder and colder.

I just looked it up.  Here is a recap in Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midnight_Sun

Where I live, we would normally be basking in the sun by now, but it has still been spring-like weather.  Not too hot, and not too cold.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Generally in MN, on a mostly clear summer day temps between 80° F - 95° F. We are pretty lucky having A/C, but my room is always 10° different from the room with the thermostat.

I'm glad you got A/C, but I'm guessing it won't get too much use, or it could get a ton, depending on the user.

Ben

dsk

Southern Norway max outdors today: 64° F, minumum last night approx 50° F
Nice weather, but cold.

dsk

DavePEI

Still 31 c., 88 f, here today and forecast to be the same tomorrow.

The tropical paradise of Atlantic Canada!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

It's sunny here, not as hot though (18 degrees versus 31!!!), but standing in the sun too long and I'm sweating already, so, I'm back indoors... ;D

Was intending to mow the grass, but a random, but friendly, escapee dog appeared so had to hold onto it while a neighbour contacted it's owner... ???

JorgeAmely

Reporting from Southern Kalyfornystan, 88F today.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Upper 90's here today.  The bank where I work has a time and temperature sign which read 101 when I left this afternoon.  That sign always reads a couple degrees hotter in the direct sunlight this time of year.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

From the high temps we were getting last week, we are having a cold front in MN at about a high of low 70s. (F)

Ben

HarrySmith

Here in South Florida it is hot & humid with rain every afternoon.
You should get a break soon, Dave. Looks like you will be getting a visit from Arthur soon! He should not be a hurricane by the time he gets there bit the forecast shows him headed right to you!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 02, 2014, 06:25:24 AM
Here in South Florida it is hot & humid with rain every afternoon.
You should get a break soon, Dave. Looks like you will be getting a visit from Arthur soon! He should not be a hurricane by the time he gets there bit the forecast shows him headed right to you!

Yep. looks as though we will have him visiting Saturday and Sunday this week. Heavy rain and wind, but cooler temperatures! Not complaining about the heat now, nice to have a couple of rooms that we can get out of the heat in...

Besides, sure prefer the heat to snow!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Humidity warning issued, tropical storm Arthur forming in Atlantic
Here are details on the storm Harry mentioned.... It is a huirricane until it hits the coast of Nova Scotia, then will transition to a tropical storm as it makes landfall in the Maritimes.

QuotePrince Edward Island could be looking at up to 100 millimetres of rain and winds gusting to 90 km/h late Saturday into Sunday.

Linda Libby with Environment Canada said the Canadian Hurricane Centre mobilized its office this morning and is keeping a close eye on hurricane Arthur.

The system has formed off the east coast of Florida and is forecast to shimmy up the U.S. East Coast as a hurricane this week.

Libby said it's too early at this stage to say with any certainty the exact path Arthur will take. It could come across the middle of New Brunswick and impact the entire Maritimes or it could veer well south of Nova Scotia.

The Canadian Hurricane Centre will be issuing bulletins every six hours. Libby said there will be adjustments made as Arthur approaches.

Environment Canada is asking Islanders to monitor the weather, especially considering that so many events are taking place outdoors.

One of the biggest concerts in the province goes this weekend, with the Cavendish Beach Music Festival set for a three-day run, beginning Friday.

Festival president Jeff Squires said they'll keep an eye on the weather but everything is still a go.

Today, Environment Canada has issued a humidity warning for Prince Edward Island, saying temperatures will feel like the high-30s C with the humidex today and Thursday.

Islanders are reminded to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated if spending long periods of time outdoors.
From The Guardian - July 02, 2014
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Could be Interesting... Tonight's published track shows Arthur going directly overhead our part of the Island...

QuoteEnvironment Canada Special Weather Statement:
4:01 PM ADT Thursday 03 July 2014
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Queens County P.E.I.
Warm and humid conditions Friday. Heavy rain and strong winds Saturday.
A warm and humid airmass over the Maritimes will result in humidex values exceeding the mid-thirties over inland areas of the province again Friday. The public is advised to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated if spending long periods of time outdoors.

Meanwhile, hurricane Arthur continues to strengthen as it approaches the mid-Atlantic coast of the United States today. Arthur will move northeastward and merge with a cold front while moving across Atlantic Canada this weekend. The combined system will bring heavy rain and strong winds to Prince Edward Island on Saturday.

At the moment general amounts of 50 to 100 millimetres are likely with a good probability of higher amounts near and to the left of the track of the system. Southern portions of New Brunswick and much of Prince Edward Island are at a higher risk of receiving the heaviest rainfall. Some areas could see rainfall rates in excess of 15 millimetres per hour for a period of several hours.

Additionally, strong winds are expected to develop Saturday and persist until Sunday morning as the system tracks through the region.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Morning update on Arthur

Arthur is still off the southern coast of Nova Scotia. The only effect we are seeing are overcast skies and rain showers. The latest track is showing it basically going directly over us on its track to the north east. I have removed the earlier tracks from this page. There isn't that much difference between this one and the earliest tracks they had - a testament of how much more accurate the science of hurricane tracking is getting.

I have added a red asterisk to the track map to indicate out location.

This morning's forecast shows it cooling somewhat:
QuoteQueens County P.E.I. Kings County P.E.I..
Tropical storm warning in effect Wind warning in effect. Today..Periods
of rain ending this afternoon then mainly cloudy. Amount 15 mm. Fog
patches dissipating this morning. Wind southeast 30 km/h gusting to
50 becoming east 60 gusting to 90 this afternoon. Temperature steady
near 22. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight..Mainly cloudy. Periods of
rain beginning this evening. Amount 5 to 10 mm. Wind east 60 km/h
gusting to 90 becoming north 60 gusting to 90 late this evening. Low 13

Below the track map - a Canadian Hurricane Alert, Eh!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Shouldn't those bottles be James Ready 5.5 bottles?  ;D