News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help getting a KTAS DO 08 type wall phone with added dial to work - wiring help needed

Started by Lee58, August 20, 2017, 10:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee58

I am not sure about this wiring. Trying to attach line cord. Got a tone but phone would not hang up or dial so I most likely did not attach correctly.
Handset is only connected right now.
Does anyone know anything about this phone?
And if my wiring so far is correct and where to connect line cord?

Thank you any help will  be very much appreciated.
I am more a MacGyver than an expert! Learning

Victor Laszlo

I can't be of much help, since I am not familiar with that type of phone, but if the cord with the 4 conductors at the top of the terminal strip is going to the handset, then that is definitely not the place to put the incoming T & R wires.

If that's the case, that leaves only 4 other terminal screws to try.  Since terminals 2-3, 6, 7 & 8 go to the handset,  and 4-5 are bridged, that actually leaves terminals 1 and 4-5 to try.  Those are the two that I would try.

Tracing out where the switch hook contacts/wires or the ringer wires are terminated would be a good guess as to where the line comes in, too.

What are those three 24 gauge wires shown in the photo? Did you install them, or were they already in the phone when you got it?

RB

TelePlay

Where do the 8 wires coming off of the bottom of the terminal strip go?

Post an image or 2 or more photos of the complete interior would help but Victor did catch only two non-handset terminals, if that's where the line in would be attached.

If you could post images of the entire inside, of any and all components and schematic if you got lucky and there was one stuck on the inside of the housing or the back, that would be great.

Also, anything printed or stamped on any part of the phone that would help identify make and model would be of interest.

Lee58

This is how the phone was wired when I got it. I did attach a line wire to the only 2 spots that I felt had power and got tone but phone would not dial or hang up Used 3rd and 4th screw left side top row from bottom. I cannot tell you gauge of wire but they appear thicker than a princess phones wires. See pic
The 4 connected cloth wires are from the handset.

Lee58

Victor Laszlo

Did you try putting the T & R of a line on the screws that I recommended yet?

If you do so, (after checking the other things that I recommended in my first message, and then telling us the answers to those specific questions) you may save yourself some work.

Did you do this yet? 
Quote"Tracing out where the switch hook contacts/wires or the ringer wires are terminated would be a good guess as to where the line comes in."

I did not say this, but I meant to do so: Remove all the plastic-insulated wires from the screws before attempting to get the phone working.

Victor Laszlo

Quote"I did attach a line wire to the only 2 spots that I felt had power..."

I do not understand that statement.

"a" line wire is singular, as in, one wire.

"2 spots" is more than one spot.

Those things you call "spots" are terminal screws or more simply, terminals.

What do you mean by "felt had power?"  There should be no power to feel in a telephone that is not connected to anything.

Lee58

I attached a red conductor wire to a terminal and the a green conductor  wire to the one next to it. I chose those because when I was testing terminals I got a tone when I plugged into a phone line but as I said it would not dial or disconnect when I hung up.Which I refereed to as power.
I will try what you said

Victor Laszlo

There's a photo of you holding a yellow wire and a couple of wires that appear that they came from the phone. Why are they loose? Did you find them that way, or did you remove them from some terminals in the phone?

In another photo, the brown/black wire seems to be spliced to an original fabric-insulated wire from the phone.  Where does that wire go?

TelePlay

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 21, 2017, 09:43:18 PM
Did you try putting the T & R of a line on the screws that I recommended yet?

This is getting way to complicated way to fast. The first thing to do is put the Blue/Black wire on terminal #1 and the White/Green wire on terminal #4 and see how it work, or what is still not workng.

A picture for new members is worth 10,000 words so here is what he meant in one image. Forget doing the rest until you try t his. One step at a time for the new guy with no knowledge of phones helps best.

Victor Laszlo

Until we know what's on the other end of those plastic wires, that advice will not speed things up. Are you assuming that they are the wires he is using to feed the T & R to the phone? I do not assume that. I do not know if he placed them there or if they came with the phone. I suspect that he did not make that splice of the brown/black - to - original wire.  If he did not add that wire, I cannot assume that he added the other two.

With all due respect, I do not feel that I have suggested that he do anything more complicated than:

1.  attach 2 line wires from a source of dial tone to the screws (that you have agreed are the best possible choices) and tell us the result.

if that doesn't work:

2.  check the internal wiring from the terminals to the switch hook and the ringer, and report those findings.

You and I are on the same page.  You have suggested the same advice that I have. I am trying to be as logical as possible, using the tiniest steps that can be recommended.

TelePlay

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on August 21, 2017, 10:18:38 PM
Until we know what's on the other end of those plastic wires, that advice will not speed things up. Are you assuming that they are the wires he is using to feed the T & R to the phone?

Who you talking to?

I think it's time to start this topic over with "I have a phone, I have a land line, I have two wires (state colors) from land line and the best place seems to be to try them on terminals #1 and #4."

That was your first question. Let him do that before confusing him further. He doesn't have the terms down but so way, use his jargon to help him troubleshoot the problem.

That Brown/Black wire seems to be attached to the hook switch but your first step in trying something was Blue/Black on #1 and White/Green on #4. If those two wires/cords/lines/cables are attached on the wall to a working phone/pots/whatever line, putting the far ends on #1 and #4 is the first step.

And, trying to help without images with circles, arrows and text annotation is something your are doing only in your mind, not the new guys hands who is working on the phone.

Serial, complex, divergent replies are confusing and the guy has already logged off probably out of confusion.

Victor Laszlo

I added some words to my reply just before yours. Maybe my addendum will make my advice clearer.

My added words have to do with those three (not two) plastic wires. I am concerned when you say that pictures are needed, and take me to task for using words rather than a photo. I think my advice is very clear.

1. Apply dial tone, with two wires, to the terminals I recommended.

If that fails,

2. trace the internal wires from the switch hook and/or ringer back to the terminal strip.

Victor Laszlo

QuoteSerial, complex, divergent replies are confusing

Serial is the only way. I agree completely that complex and divergent are not the way. That's why I tried to get him back on track and answer the questions, one at a time, so that we would all have an idea of what's inside the phone.