News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This Fingerwheel is Smarter Than I Am

Started by Eric CRX, January 18, 2013, 03:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric CRX

I have searched for an answer but can't find a definitive one. Hate to post another question as I have little to add to the forum. My 1961 WE plastic finger wheel is about to get smashed. :o (Ironic since this hobby is supposed to be relaxing.)

It is an open faced wheel and has the pinhole by the 9. I am figuring that is how it comes off and have been trying but it won't work. I struggle with those on a good day but this one is thicker so I can't even get a small slotted screwdriver in to bend that tab. (Paperclip method is hit and miss for me.)

So, with pics following, am I correct that it comes off by the paperclip in the pinhole method? As long as I know the method, eventually it'll come off. Just don't want to break something that's 50 years old cause the owner is, well, a bit overzealous.

Last pic is just for fun.
Thanks for a nudge in the right direction

Dennis Markham

Yes, that pin-hole is where you need to use the paper clip (or something similar) to remove the wheel.  Hold it at eye level, from the side.  When you insert your clip, it is pushing against the tab?  Sometimes they get out of alignment.  Make sure you first turn the wheel completely clock-wise until it comes to the stop before pushing down on the paper clip.  Continue to gently turn the wheel as you push down on the tab.  Sometimes they can be a pain.  Don't break it (on purpose).

jsowers

Sometimes a push pin will work. The kind used on bulletin boards. Or a hatpin, if you have one of those.
Jonathan

Eric CRX

Thanks for the quick replies gentlemen. I should get it off eventually. My usual method doesn't work here since that plastic is thicker and there's little clearance between the wheel and top of the dial plate. Usually I can see that little tab and with a small eyeglasses screwdriver I can get enough pressure on the tab to rotate the wheel off. Works better for me than the paperclip method. This one will be more challenging as I can see nothing and can't get my screwdriver in there. So a paperclip or other items mentioned will have to work.

It's a really cool old phone. Seems to be all 1961. Should spit shine up quite nicely. I have pin in my phone parts baggie, I'll try that next.
Thanks
Eric

twocvbloke

My red WE500 has a soft centre wheel too, I just use a blunt sewing needle in a set of vicegrips to press the latch down to remove it, bit overkill really, but the longer needle really helps to get it in there... :)

And any human is smarter than a fingerwheel, after all, it only goes clockwise, then anti-clockwise, I can do that all day on my computer chair, so long as I don't get too dizzy doing so... :D

AE40FAN

I've noticed some of these WE finger wheels to be a pain to get off....

Phonesrfun

You're on the right track.  Just keep working it.  Sometimes the springy tab under the hole gets bent and pushing with the paper clip or what ever you are pushing with just takes some finess-ing.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Use something stiffer than a paper clip, they tend to bend when a finger wheel is being stubborn, or even when it's not.  I use safety pins.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Eric CRX

Pretty unsuccessful evening. I am trying several different "tools" and still haven't hit it correctly yet. Between this and difficulties placing my Barrett Jackson fantasy bidding, it has been a most wasteful couple of hours.

It is time to grab a drink and resume my battle tomorrow. I'm tempted to grab a drill bit and make that hole a touch wider.
Thanks for the suggestions

Final score for tonight : Finger wheel  1
                                      Eric                 0

Phonesrfun

You are pushing in while rotating the wheel all the way clockwise, I hope. 
-Bill G

Eric CRX

Getting ready to try again. Yes, I have been (from what I've read) doing the process correctly. Pressure on that magical little tab whilst rotating the wheel clockwise to where it catches. It appears the tab may be broken off but it's hard to tell.

I was afraid to take off the nut as I've read a little about the springs coming unwound and thought that would happen. I'll try that.

I know little about these things, er, phones, but have really enjoyed making them purdy again. I have developed a disdain for plastic fingerwheels however.
Thanks

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Bill

Quote from: Eric CRX on January 19, 2013, 10:35:09 AM
Getting ready to try again... Pressure on that magical little tab whilst rotating the wheel clockwise to where it catches.
Been a while since I've done it, but isn't it done in the opposite order? Rotate the wheel all the way clockwise, then (and only then) push in the pin while continuing to try to rotate? If you put the pin in too early, it may catch on the leading edge of the magic tab.

Bill

Dennis Markham

Bill, that is what I indicated in Reply #1 (on this thread).  Turn it completely clockwise, then depress the tab.

Eric CRX

Sorry everyone. My communication skills are lacking. I was rotating to the end, then applying pressure. Maybe I implied I was applying pressure while rotating. My bad. (Yep, re-read my post and I didn't explain myself worth a darn.)

Good news however. It is off and undamaged. Crazy. A safety pin finally bent in a favorable direction and, like magic, off she came. Now I have about a half dozen warped pins and paperclips.....And a bonus huge dustbunny.

Hey thanks so much for the help. I only really post when I'm stumped but I read up most everyday.
Final tally: Finger wheel  1;  and Eric  1..........In keeping score, I just tied a piece of plastic. ;D