News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newbie, how bad did I get screwed?

Started by Jrs1958, January 05, 2017, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

That's a very nice and early set.  But the handset has been replaced, and I am wondering whether the housing has been replaced too to accommodate the newer handset.  AE made a special housing for that purpose, the 34A3B.

The ordering number L-220 A0 (on the wiring label) is the first catalog number of these in the catalog of 1934.  The set was intended for individual line service with metallic ringing with a two-conductor cord.

unbeldi

ok, rereading history of this topic...  you were missing a ringer in your first set ?
I would swap the entire base.
What does the new one look like on the bottom ?

unbeldi

Wow, with gold trim.  The black sets were indeed available with satin gold trim, just like the color sets.  You have to keep that dial with the handset.

Personally, I like to keep sets the way they were found, unless I have good reason to believe they were already mixed up by someone other than the telephone company.

From previous discussions on this Forum we learned that the housings for those sets with the Type 41 handset were slightly different in the geometry of the cradle, and the 1940 catalog warns of that too.

Don't understand how the "insides look like they are from a WE302".  What does it look like ?

unbeldi

Or did someone simply brass out the black painted parts ?   Looking at the details of the finger wheel, it almost seems like it.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 18, 2017, 09:54:14 PM
Inside of other 302

Oh, it is an AE or ITT (?) transmission unit and an AE high impedance ringer.
That should work pretty well, technically.
But indeed, not authentic, I might indeed be tempted to swap it out.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jrs1958 on January 18, 2017, 09:55:34 PM
Ae34

That is an interesting hook switch modification.  No doubt it was constructed to support the functionality of a 'modern' hook switch.
Someone took care of the technical aspects.
Perhaps it was done at a commercial refurbisher, such as COT.  Our member rdelius might want to chime in.

unbeldi

Are you planning on actually using one of the sets, or are you collecting for historic accuracy?

For using, this set that with new internals would likely work best.
You have so many parts now, you can choose what to do.  A set for use and another for accuracy.
In the end you still have one set without ringer.  This is a common problem when buying extra sets to get parts, it may be hard to decide which combination is best.

AE_Collector

Wow, so you have 3 - 34 sets now?! Where have you been getting them from...eBay?

I assume the 2nd one is brassed out but as Unbeldi says, black with Gold Matte trim was an option just like the more commonly seen combination of black with Chrome trim.

The 3rd one has AE80 network and ringer. That switch hook is something else! Amazing the work that went into it. Too bad it didn't have the proper ringer in it as then you would have everything needed to make two complete original sets.

Check to see if #2 handset sits completely down in the cradle. That newer handset is slightly wider and if it is the old original Bakelite housing tge newer handset fits awkwardly, not sitting completely down in the cradle in some positions (moving it side to side).

So to summarize:
#1 - proper except no ringer.
#2 - proper except has newer type 41 handset
#3 - correct outside except brassed out metal but not even close inside. Likely a better "daily driver".

Not knowing where you want to get to, as Unbeldi suggested use the 3rd one as a not correct daily driver. You could move the handsets between #1 & #2 so that #2 is correct leaving #1 with wrong handset and no ringer. Then eBay it as is, keep it around as spare parts, make it work and sell it to someone who wants a working old desk phone and isnt concerned about originality.

Terry

rdelius

The conversion was not COT.Why replace the old hookswitch when it could be reused ?.lots of extra work

AE_Collector

Yes that hook switch is interesting. Maybe someone really messed to original one up. Anyone (like COT) who had loads of AE 40's on hand would have just got a replacement from an otherwise busted up old 40.

Terry

AE_Collector

Jrs:
How are you doing at figuring out what to do with your three AE34 sets?

Can you post some more pictures of the inside of your first 34? Showing any labels and writing on the dial, condenser etc. Also a couple of pictures of the underside of the handset and inside the handset showing any markings on transmitter and receiver if you can open it. I think the only pictures of the first AE34 are in your initial post, correct?

Thanks,
Terry

Jrs1958

Terry, I will get you more photos later today.

Jrs1958

Jrs1958

Jrs1958