News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Check your batteries!

Started by DavePEI, June 24, 2016, 04:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

One thing I found time to do today was go through all my battery powered testers to make sure the batteries were still good, and not leaking. This included my various Dynatel units, and my Tempo Sidekick and Tempo T.N.

Sadly, I discovered my Sidekick's batteries had leaked and had corroded its battery holder - not a huge problem, and the holders are common and easy to replace (averaging $1 ea., slow boat from China - ordered 5 for $4.04 incl shipping), but I am glad I caught it before it leaked through to the circuitry.

So just a bit of a reminder - check your battery operated units at least a couple of times a year. Dollar store batteries are particularly susceptible to leaking, I have ordered a 24 pack of Energizer Professional batteries to replace the batteries in them, for several reasons, they are known to be well sealed and are the closest you an order to mil spec batteries, and they are very fresh dated - good till 12/2024. If you buy them in bulk, they are under a dollar each including shipping.

On the same note, I also took the opportunity to recharge my Dynatel 745 Line Loop Tester battery - simple - just clip its tip and ring leads onto a 12 volt regulated supply, but I often forget until I need it!

So, remember - keep an eye on your batteries, and don't use cheap batteries. Test gear is expensive, and it is worthwhile paying a little extra attention to battery condition.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

oldguy

Thanks Dave, great idea. Like most of us when we grab a tester & it doesn't work, then we check the battery & not only is it dead but the batteries are leaking all over everything.
Gary

twocvbloke

I recently had to deal with leaked batteries in an energy monitor sender unit (clips to the live side of the incoming electricity meter tails, works like those clamp meters used to measure amperage), the batteries were duracells which weren't all that old, but had vomited their bowels into the battery compartment, had to clean that out and remove the corrosion to restore functionality, but, I really hate that even in the 21st century, they can't make an alkaline battery that doesn't leak...  :-\

AE_Collector

Yes everyone needs to order up a fresh set of "Flying Bombs" for their test equipment. Anyone else remember these back in what...the 60's? Lowest cost batteries to be found. They didn't last long and loved to leak all over everything.

Terry

twocvbloke

They sound like the "777" brand batteries I had to suffer in the 90s, cheap, not cheerful, they'd leak the moment you used them so had to change them more than you'd change a baby... :o

19and41

When I set my home test equipment aside for any length of time, I remove the batteries and put them into a container where the equipment is kept.  I mark them with the item and date installed the first time.  I have had very good luck cleaning any leaked chemicals with plain water followed by an application of the hair dryer to dry the area.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke