"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

coin box fit?

Started by Stan the Man, July 23, 2016, 08:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Stan S on July 25, 2016, 09:49:56 AM
I was serious about the Campbell's Soup Can. Tuna fish cans also work pretty well.

Another thing that works well is the bottom of a plastic 40 ounce Skippy peanut butter jar. It can be easily cut to any height (shorter for a 3 slot and taller for a 1 slot), has a flat bottom that sits nicely in the vault, its diameter fills (fits nicely) the vault, it has no metal on metal rattle and it will never rust.

trainman

One thing on the three slot boxes is the protrusions on the top of the box fit around the lock on the vault door when its closed. You dont worry about that on a single slot.

Stan the Man

I have a coin box now.. Would someone be so kind as to give me a good measurement.. From a three slot coin can.. Top to bottom, and front to back would be great..
Thanks,.. Stan

Stan, measurements are:

Across bottom front face = 4"

Across bottom side = 4 3/8"

Bottom to top edge with top off = 3 1/2"

With lid on = 3 3/4"

Stan the Man

Thanks Doug,.. That's exactly what I needed.. I hope I don't have to modify the front to clear the lock.. Just looking at that last picture, looks like I will.. Oh well,..whatever it takes..

Stan

No problem Stan,

If you need more pictures or information, just let me know. I'll be happy to help out.

I also have extra single slot coin boxes if something goes wrong.

Stan the Man

The first pics of this fiasco.. I didn't realize these boxes were so thin..

Stan

DavePEI

Stan: Just be certain you put your keys in a very safe place when you are done. With a coin box in the phone,it will be darn near impossible to break into the phone from the back. I have a key safe in the museum I keep all my payphone keys in, just for that reason. All keys go there, so I can always find them.

Many people have discovered too late after they mis-place their keys that they can't get back into their phone from the back with the can in place.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave F

I have a question regarding this topic.  Not meaning to be uppity or obnoxious, but why would anybody put in the time and effort to cut down a single-slot coin box to fit a 3-slot phone when genuine 3-slot coin boxes are readily available?  Granted that a real one does cost significantly more than a single-slotter, but it IS real and is the proper part for your nice 3-slot phone.  Seems to me that if you can afford to buy a 3-slot payphone, you can afford to buy the correct coin box for it.  Am I missing something here?

DF

Stan the Man

Yes, I could spend the money.. If I wanted to be a stickler, I would buy the right box.. The box is insignificant to me.. A tuna can would do the job..  so,.. Maybe I wanted a challenge, or to see if I could do it,.. and at the same time, stick a finger in the eye of someone that would gouge me for a proper box.. Who knows why I do what I do?? I worked as a steel fabricator for well over 20 years.. My obstacle is time.. These days I don't get to exercise my madness much..

The front will have to be modified as well.. I will post more pictures after the next "fit" of rage..

Stan

TelePlay

Quote from: Dave F on August 21, 2016, 03:04:42 PM
. . . genuine 3-slot coin boxes are readily available?  Granted that a real one does cost significantly more than a single-slotter, but it IS real and is the proper part for your nice 3-slot phone.  Seems to me that if you can afford to buy a 3-slot payphone, you can afford to buy the correct coin box for it.

Won't be that long before they are asking more for a 3-slot coin box than for the phone itself. This is the highest I've seen to date for either one.

$75:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-3-Slot-Payphone-Coin-Box-Lid-Automatic-Electric-Telephone-Western-2-/112153773984

$74:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-3-Slot-Payphone-Untripped-Coin-Box-W-Early-Metal-Seal-Pay-Phone-Telephone-/162223395329

Stan S

Not really.
These auctions started at $.01.
With more to come!

http://tinyurl.com/hg4dk9c

http://tinyurl.com/jbwze2r

Stan S.

TelePlay

Quote from: Stan S on October 01, 2016, 12:08:43 AM
Not really.
These auctions started at $.01.
With more to come!

Yes, I bid on both of them. As soon as one sold, the other appeared. Reasonably priced, at least the first one. The second one is getting up there.

What I was attempting to say was the price escalation in the minds of some sellers is far beyond reality. Or, I've  not seen those in the $70s before, and yes, they won't sell at those prices.

Stan S

Quote from: TelePlay on October 01, 2016, 06:37:09 AM
What I was attempting to say was the price escalation in the minds of some sellers is far beyond reality.

Possibly caused by mental illness?

YA THINK!

Who knows.

It would appear that the seller of the $.01 coin boxes is out to destroy the market value!
Maybe he got sick and tired of nonsense like this that would eventually destroy our hobby.
(I know him personally. He really is a little nuts :o)

Stan S.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Stan S on October 01, 2016, 08:24:36 AM

(I know him personally. He really is a little nuts :o)

Stan S.

Aren't we all!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"