News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Could this be a Med Blue?

Started by LM Ericsson, July 22, 2013, 09:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

I'm betting the housing is med blue under the paint. That will be a sod of a restoration job.
Tom

Gilas

My bet would be Med Blue. You can definitely see that it has a date on it 1/16/5? can't make out the last but even if it's 59 since it's earlier 59 it soft plastic.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 23, 2013, 12:08:22 PM
If the housing was painted then wouldn't the stamp dated on the front end of the housing be painted over?  Then again, on closer inspection it does look like it could actually be the same as the handset...
I do not believe that there would be any date stamp visible in the shell if it had been painted.  It almost looks like someone sprayed a bit of dark blue paint into the rear part of the shell.

Larry

Only the *outside* of the housing is intentionally painted.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: Gilas on July 23, 2013, 04:45:10 PM
My bet would be Med Blue. You can definitely see that it has a date on it 1/16/5? can't make out the last but even if it's 59 since it's earlier 59 it soft plastic.

Mike

Were any med. blue parts made after 1957?

ESalter

I'm with Dennis here.  I'm confident what we're seeing of the date is mostly texture, not color.  I have several painted soft plastic sets where you can see the date through the overspray just like this. 

---Eric

poplar1

If this phone was last painted in 1958, then it's not Polane:

"In 1971 Sherwin-Williams introduced POLANE, a coating designed to efficiently cover metal surfaces but found to work exceedingly well on plastics as well."

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/the-sherwin-williams-company-history/

LM Ericsson

This is going to be very interesting to see if someone on this forum does win this phone and we can see if it is actually a med blue. I really hope someone does!
Regards,
-Grayson

LarryInMichigan

I am starting to believe about the shell, but no amount of sanding is ever going to make the bezel med. blue,

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 23, 2013, 08:04:17 PM
I am starting to believe about the shell, but no amount of sanding is ever going to make the bezel med. blue,

Larry

It is already blue (sort of)! Not the correct blue but it is blue.

Now to find a way to glue the stripped off housing paint onto the dial number plate so that a clear dial overlay can be applied to it.

Terry

poplar1

Seller just emailed me:

I've taken the phone apart and find only some numbers on the brass under the dial:
      9 C
      4 70

George Knighton

That sort of looks like the right blue....

...and looks like a job for "finlover"  !
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

I'd really love to tackle it, but it'd end up sitting on the basement shelf alongside those two greys I've never got to.

I'm already selling off stuff that I know I'll never deal with.

:-(
Annoying new poster.

Dennis Markham

One COULD make a "black dial" set out of it using an early 7 series dial and black dial bezel.  Of course one would need some gray cords to go with it.  As seen here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2249.15

AE40FAN

It would make a really nice two tone if you can obtain some gray cords.  Those alone can run you between 60-80.  Hopefully, we get to see the outcome.

AE_Collector

Unless it is someone on here who shares the fact that they win it, we will never know who it is since the bidders identity is protected.

ebaY used to be a lot more fun.....

Terry