News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 inspection.

Started by Greg G., April 27, 2010, 01:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Makes more sense to start with the ones that already have a line cord attached.

Overall, I'm real happy with this one.  Just needs some cleanup and fine tuning.  Only wear I see is around the switchhook plungers and one corner of the rubber cover around the base.  A little bit of corrosion on the bottom, but not serious and no rust.  

Fully functions, dial rotates and returns fine, handset caps came off easily, but the ring hesitates.  There is some static coming from the line cord, it gets worse when I wiggle it.  Here are the pics and a few Youtube links.  I have to say, I really like the art deco look of this phone, and the AE50s too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYM9Vy6Dhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU7bXqiXAt4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEpanQVpbMI
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The rest of the pics.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
              Some of the AE 40's S L ringers fit that AE 50!!!!If you have any extra that is .  Nice phone !!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

That AE 40 is nice and clean.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

You're looking at a frequency ringer in the 40 though so it probably doesn't ring? I can almost read the frequency on the label .... a 2 digit number with the frequency symbol after it.

New rubber gaskets are available for the base from Gary Goff. $10 or $11 I think.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on April 27, 2010, 11:57:47 AM
You're looking at a frequency ringer in the 40 though so it probably doesn't ring? I can almost ready the frequency on the label .... a 2 digit number with the frequency symbol after it.

New rubber gaskets are available for the base fro mGary Goff. $10 or $11 I think.

Terry

It rings, look at the Youtube links.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Brinybay,
               Great job Greg, now how did you get it to ring ?       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 12:56:08 PM
Brinybay,
               Great job Greg, now how did you get it to ring ?       stub

I just plugged it in and called it from my cell.  The Youtube vids are the first try, I didn't do anything to it other than hook the line cord up to a biscuit. 
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I noticed when I was watching the video that the clapper is one of those adjustable ones.  I have never seen one that wasn't on a frequency ringer.  I was amazed that it was ringing--and strong too.  I first thought maybe you modified the reed spring thingy in the back.  It looks like it says 50~ on the ringer?? That would indicate 50 cycles and it shouldn't ring on your line.  Maybe the clapper being moved inward did the trick.

Greg G.

Here's a better view of the ringer so you can see the markings.  I just hooked it up again and called it (w/o any adjustments), same result, it rings, but it hesitates.  Did I happen to get a frequency ringer that works on today's phone lines?
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

It is a 50 Hz frequency ringer. It will have a tough time ringing on modern lines.
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 27, 2010, 01:41:01 PM
It is a 50 Hz frequency ringer. It will have a tough time ringing on modern lines.

I guess that's why it hesitates.  In that case, I'm surprised it works at all, but it does ring so I don't think I'll mess with it.  I don't remember what frequency today's phone lines are.  20 something hz?
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

It is 20 Hz in USA, 25 Hz in Europe.
Jorge

stub

Ringer Frequency Suffix Index for AE ringer  D-56516- A trough M
 A= 16.6 Hz      B= 25 Hz     C= 33 Hz   D= 50 Hz     E= 66.6 Hz    F= 20 Hz
 G= 30 Hz         H=  42 Hz    J= 54 Hz    K= 66Hz      L= 40 Hz       M= 60 Hz.  
This list is the same for the D-56441-A through M
 I don't know why your ringer works ?  If it aint broke ,don't fix it!!!!!!!

AE Circular  1712 A     11-53        pg. 28 and pg. 30                     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on April 27, 2010, 02:56:15 PM
Someone must have messed with it to get it to ring.

That's what I was thinking too, somebody hot-wired it, but I wouldn't know from looking at it.  If there's real curiosity, I can take more pics.

Quote from: stub1953 on April 27, 2010, 04:01:34 PM
I don't know why your ringer works ?  If it aint broke ,don't fix it!!!!!!!

stub

Yup.  What era are these from, 40s?
- Mike Row
e