News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's Your Opinion?

Started by Dewdrop, August 06, 2011, 11:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Recently won a phone on ebay. I examined the pictures provided. Enlarged them in Photoshop. There didn't appear to be any cracks, chips or nicks in the phone housing. Received the phone yesterday. Clearly there is no damage to the box. Inside the phone was securely packed, but when taking the phone out of the box the first thing I noticed is the nick on the bottom edge of the housing (front).

I've included the two pictures from ebay that was provided and the ebay description. Also three pictures I took this morning.

EBAY DESCRIPTION: You are bidding on a vintage Western Electric Bell System ivory desk phone with rotary dial.  The wall cord is the older hard wire type, no jack.  I have no way to test the phone, so I am selling as is. The shell of the phone looks to be in good/fair condition. I think the phone is ivory, however I am not sure it looks to be a little discolored or maybe just needs a good cleaning. Do to this fact, I am starting the auction low. If you have questions, or need more pictures please email. Thanks for looking!

I paid $32.00 (shipping included) for the phone. His ebay rating is 98.8% with 3,039 transactions.

Can any one here detect the nick in the ebay pics? I really thought this one would be a safe bet.

I did not email the seller about the condition of the phone before bidding.

I have contacted the seller about the nick in the housing. He replied back that he did described "The shell of the phone looks to be in good/fair condition".

I told him I could provide pictures of the phone. Waiting on sending the pictures until I get some opinions here on the forum.

His response: What do you want to do? Do you want the phone or do you want to return it? Please let me know. I want to work with you. Thanks.

What would you guys do?

I appreciate your opinion
Debbie
Debbie

JorgeAmely

Tough to say Debbie. It depends on how much you want a white phone. This one seems particularly nice, except for the dent in the front lip. Can you file off the excess and polish the front to see how it looks? Returning it will cost around $12, but I think the ebay insurance thing will cover it.
Jorge

Dewdrop

Thanks Jorge for responding.

I never have tackled filing. Do you remember any topics here regarding filing?

Also, could you see the nick (dent) on the original ebay pictures?

This is my first older white 500.

THANKS
Debbie

AE_Collector

Sellers just see these phones as "Old Phones", not items that we want to restore to "like new" condition. He probably didn't even notice the little ding. I don't think that we can expect the sellers to know what defects are big in our eyes and which ones don't matter at all. Or even that we want to restore it rather than just use it in the family room as a phone. He might have been more inclined to mention that the handset cord seems to be pulling out of the phone than he was to say that there is a little bang mark on the front lower edge of the phone.

Since he stated that the housing was only good/fair and invited bidders to ask more questions and to ask for more pictures, I don't think this was being intentionally hidden.

It sounds as though you did everything that you could to examine the pictures for damage but this one just snuck by. Too bad but I think you will make it look good and I don't think there is anything wrong with some evidence that a phone has seen everyday use.

Terry

Dewdrop

Thanks Terry for your opinion.

Debbie

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dewdrop on August 06, 2011, 12:04:31 PM
Also, could you see the nick (dent) on the original ebay pictures?

Debbie, I could not see the ding on the original eBay pictures.

Jorge

Tom B

Debbie,
I would keep the phone as I also think you could make a really great job of finishing it. It is in fair condition for 49 years old IMO ;)
Tom

Dewdrop

Debbie

Dennis Markham

I agree with Jorge in that the damage does not appear to be present in "ebay phone #2".  It's possible it was damaged by the seller prior to packaging, therefore the box shows no damage.  I also agree with Terry's assessment with what is important to buyers vs sellers.

If it were me I wouldn't send it back but perhaps the seller would be willing to negotiate on some type of refund.  Or at least I'd like to hear an explanation of why the damage doesn't appear in the ebay photo.  What is it Doug Rose says...sometimes the bear bites you......?

I think we've all been bitten once or twice.  Sorry for your bad luck on this one Debbie.

Dewdrop

Thanks Dennis,

Have asked the seller for his email so I can send him the three pictures of the phone I took this morning.

I think the pictures would better explain the nick (dent).

I could live with a possible discount (refund). Viewing the ebay pictures does not reveal the damage. I am behind on having my eyes tested, but I enlarged and enlarged the ebay pics. I don't need my glasses for closeup (nearsighted not farsighted).

Just received an email from the seller. Maybe he is a she. Will let you know when I hear back.
Debbie

JorgeAmely

Debbie:

Would you consider getting another white phone to repair this one? I think I have a housing in the garage that could help you.
Jorge

Dewdrop

Emailed the phone pics to the seller about 6 hours ago and haven't heard back.

Well Jorge another white housing without a nick (dent) would be better.

Will let y'all know when I hear back from the seller.
Debbie

NorthernMan

If the add doesn't say....... no chips or cracks or damage to housing ...always ask .
And if they don't reply don't bid. If you didn't ask, well just chalk it up to experience and move on.

A damaged housing drops the price by 75 per cent..... IMO.

Doug Rose

Quote from: NorthernMan on August 06, 2011, 11:38:31 PM
If the add doesn't say....... no chips or cracks or damage to housing ...always ask .
And if they don't reply don't bid. If you didn't ask, well just chalk it up to experience and move on.

A damaged housing drops the price by 75 per cent..... IMO.
Being a Collector who is also an eBay seller I agree with most of your comment.

An eBay seller is responsible for getting your package to your door in the condition that the phone is pictured. Debbie's phone is damaged and to me, parts; displayable phone no more. Seller is responsible for a full refund, but eBay will make the buyer pay return shipping which, to me, is not fair to the buyer. I would contact the seller and get a partial refund as the phone is now for just parts. If Jorge can get you a shell, knowing Jorge, it will be a perfect phone. Better than what you purchased.

I would never walk away and "chalk it up to experience." As a seller I want happy buyers. I get a lot of repeat customers. As a buyer, I want what I paid for in the condition I bought it. Neither is too much to ask for. Just my opinion.

As for a seller not disclosing issues with a phone and you have to ask, this is just plain wrong. Hiding issues with a phone is not a way a reputable seller works. If you have to ask, there is a problem. The one picture auctions are more than trouble waiting to happen. eBay offers 12 pictures for free. Use them. Point out the issues.

As a seller, I make mistakes. I do not know everthing about all things I sell. If I make a mistake, I honor it, it's my problem. To me, this is not a mistake, seller knew what he/she was doing.

Bottom line, selling is a business. To keep my business on line, I have to be honest and fair. Treat the buyer the way I want to be treated. Not really that hard. Its a good second job, but not easy by any means.

If this was my auction, I would offer the buyer a return of the selling price and Debbie would keep the phone. If the phone doesn't match the picture and there are no pieces in the box, a mistake was made. Just that simple. I will know step down from my soapbox...Doug
Kidphone

Dewdrop

Thank you Doug for your opinion as a buyer and a seller.

I won an auction awhile back on two aqua WE 500 phones. There were a few issues with the housings, but no cracks. When the phones arrived they both had a serious CRACK. The seller said he was sorry and refunded the bidding price plus the shipping. These were NOT hardwired.

I should be hearing back from the seller today or Monday morning. I mentioned the partial refund idea to her.

I guess what you SEE is not what you always get in some of these transactions.

Wish all sellers were more like you. I have come across a few.
Debbie