News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another mushroom phone

Started by Perry, February 23, 2009, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

With the previous pink mushroom phone, some of us were wondering what they sell for. Here is another 500 P/U that just finished:
http://tinyurl.com/aqua-500-P-U

I was going to bid on this one. It is just what I was wanting (aqua), although I don't like those plastic replacement feet. Over $400 for a phone that would still need some restoration was more than I was willing to pay, though. Not that I really need another phone...
:-\

benhutcherson

Perry,
Just as a side note, the plastic feet are more than likely original and correct for the telephone. The change over occurred sometime in '59, so a 10-59 telephone(such as that one) should have plastic feet.

Perry

I didn't know they changed that early. I thought that the rust line around the feet was where the originals had been.

I have one phone with those kind of feet. They seem very hard and slippery. Is that an aging change, or were they that way originally?

Dennis Markham

Perry, some of the original rubber feet (the kind of triangular ones) seem "softer" than others.  I believe 1958 was the last year from suede.  I'm not sure when the transition was from the triangular ones to round plastic.  The theory that I've heard with regard to the rust is a result of the out-gassing that the plastic does over the years creating moisture to become trapped between the foot pad and the base.  If you notice when you're looking at ringer bells on the Western Electric phones specifically you'll see that where the rubber grommet is (acting as a washer) for the assembly where the screw attaches it to the base, you'll see brown residue near the ringer.  On some sets the out-gassing will actually stain the inside of the plastic covers.  I have a 554 that stained so badly from the ringer rubber washers that the stain goes clean through the plastic and is visible on the outside.  I have read that if there is air movement around these parts it will minimize the staining as obviously the gaseous state is circulated by fresh air.  So a phone that's been a box for years and years may have the staining.

Greg G.

Dumb question from a newbie, what is a "mushroom" phone?  I'm assuming it has something to do with that button by the number 4?  What's its function?  I'm assuming the other button by the number 7 is a hold button?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Perry

Dennis Markham

I just updated my posting.  The Rose Pink phone link now takes you to a photo of  Rose Pink "mushroom" phone.

Dan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280313816614&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Here's another one. I asked him the ? about removing the silver. It was reasonably priced, but I was wondering if the transformer needed was similar to a princess one, or how you even hook it up?I have way to many black500's currently. I figured $100 would win it, but I didn't get to bid it on time.(should've made a proxy bid!)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

The same transformer will work for the mushroom phones.  They connect very similar to the Princess phones, if not the same.  The red and green wires are for Tip and Ring and the yellow and black for the lamp.  I think.  :)

Perry

That one slipped past me, probably because the phone looks so tacky to me that I didn't give it a second look. Even if the handset and dial ring had to be replaced, it would have been worth it. I guess I'll hold out for an aqua blue set, 1958 or earlier, at a low price (in my dreams).

Dennis Markham

Those are the ones you need to find at the Estate sales, or flea markets.  Some day when you least expect it you'll look over and there will be a mint one.  It will have a price tag of $5 on it!  Now there's a fantasy!

McHeath

I'd love to have one of these phones, but geepers they are pricy!  Toyed with the idea of making one out of an old clunker, but what to use for the cover for the light?

benhutcherson

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 23, 2009, 03:42:58 PM
If you notice when you're looking at ringer bells on the Western Electric phones specifically you'll see that where the rubber grommet is (acting as a washer) for the assembly where the screw attaches it to the base, you'll see brown residue near the ringer.  On some sets the out-gassing will actually stain the inside of the plastic covers.  I have a 554 that stained so badly from the ringer rubber washers that the stain goes clean through the plastic and is visible on the outside.  I have read that if there is air movement around these parts it will minimize the staining as obviously the gaseous state is circulated by fresh air.  So a phone that's been a box for years and years may have the staining.

Sort of a catch-22 for finding a truly mint phone, isn't it? A used one probably won't have the stain, but will have marks from use-however minimal. An unused one won't have any usage marks, but will probably have the unsightly case stain.

By the way, it's been my observation that the triangular feet aren't nearly as likely to cause rusting as are the later round ones. I have a few with triangular plastic feet that don't have any damage around the feet, and a few that only have it around one or two.

By contrast, all of my ones with round feet have some damage.

Dennis Markham

I agree with your observation.  It is more rare to find the round plastic feet with NO rust.  Some of those other round ones, the ones with thick round feet don't seem to rust as bad.  They seem like they are more rubber than plastic.