News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on December 27, 2013, 04:46:36 AMEven with that, guys, he still drives on the "right" side of the road, only occasionally forgetting whether he is in the UK or America! SS  :o

What is this? >> the pub crawl???

Dave

I was all over the road in Grand Theft Auto online just now, never mind the correct or right sides... ;D

And the is "Rolling on the floor laughing", shortened by the young 'uns to "ROFL"... :P

WEBellSystemChristian

No, it's drunk Pac-Man after he walked into a wall. ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Nick in Manitou

A long time ago I lived for a while in England.  When I returned I had to really watch my driving when turning left from a one-way street onto a two way street...I had a tendency to stay on the left side of the road!

Attached is a photo of the 1956 Ford Popular that I drove for a while over there.  Its top speed was about 45mph and it cost me about $40 to purchase.

Nick

twocvbloke

You should have bought a 2CV6, they're a lot faster at a top speed of 71.5mph (down a hill, with the wind at your back, and the elastic band thoroughly tightened up!!)... :P

Nick in Manitou

Hey TwoCV,

The picture of the burgundy and black 2CV you posted earlier in this thread is a shot of that car that makes it look really nice!

There were some interesting features in those vehicles.

Didn't they have the ability to raise and lower the ride as you drove and if you needed to change a tire, you just raised the suspension to the highest setting, put a prop under the body near the wheel that needed to be replaced, then lowered the suspension and as the rest of the car settled down, the wheel you needed to work with stayed up off the ground.  That was pretty cool for 1950s technology.

Nick

twocvbloke

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 27, 2013, 08:01:19 PMDidn't they have the ability to raise and lower the ride as you drove and if you needed to change a tire, you just raised the suspension to the highest setting, put a prop under the body near the wheel that needed to be replaced, then lowered the suspension and as the rest of the car settled down, the wheel you needed to work with stayed up off the ground.  That was pretty cool for 1950s technology.

Nick

No, that was the Citroen DS that had the hydraulic suspension that did that,  the 2CV had the suspension that was interconnected between front & rear, so that when the front wheel hit a bump, the rear wheel responded in time to cushion the bump, resulting in a ride so smooth that you can drive over a ploughed field at speed with a basket of eggs on the seat and not have one of them break... :)

The 2CV also had seats that were essentially hammocks on rubber bands, resulting in a rather comfy seat (I used to have a set of 2CV seats that were nice to sit on when playing games on my old Playstation), most other cars at the time used sprung seats (or even hard benches with a little cushioning) that were often quite uncomfortable to sit on for a long drive, but Citroen (well, technically PiƩrre Boulanger) decided to be different and make something comfortable while at the same time was cheap to make so poorer french people could afford to buy the 2CV... :)

WesternElectricBen

Going back to me and my favoritism of old Fords, that would be one dream car for me. Too expensive, and I cannot drive, but immaculate condition, well almost.

1977, LTD, Green inside and out.

It is for sale right now: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/4211333692.html ( dead link 02-21-21 )

Ben

AE_Collector

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 26, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
although nowadays environmentalists are trying to limit engine horsepower by decreasing fuel consumption.

Probably the other way around. I don't think environmentalists particularly care what the HP is as long as it consumes little fuel and more importantly, emits a minimum amount of pollution.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on December 27, 2013, 08:01:19 PMDidn't they have the ability to raise and lower the ride as you drove and if you needed to change a tire, you just raised the suspension to the highest setting, put a prop under the body near the wheel that needed to be replaced, then lowered the suspension and as the rest of the car settled down

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 27, 2013, 08:11:11 PM
No, that was the Citroen DS that had the hydraulic suspension that did that

To change the tires on a 2CV you just tip the car on its side.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 01, 2014, 11:17:18 PMTo change the tires on a 2CV you just tip the car on its side.

Terry

Nooo you just get someone to lift it up on one corner by hand while you change it...  ;D

Contempra

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 01, 2014, 11:09:19 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 26, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
although nowadays environmentalists are trying to limit engine horsepower by decreasing fuel consumption.

Probably the other way around. I don't think environmentalists particularly care what the HP is as long as it consumes little fuel and more importantly, emits a minimum amount of pollution.

Terry

What do you think about the funny cars, dragsters, demolition derby, Formula1 and others ?,, They must stop this kind of vehicules before reducing the normal vehicules. and I don't think about the HUMMERS yet !...

AE_Collector

That 77 LTD is still for sale at $4500 unless they just didn't remove the listing. 15,500 original miles. I would have thought that would have been snapped up long ago! Beautiful interior.

Terry

paul-f

When I think of the car that I most hated to retire, the one that comes quickly to mind was our 1984 Conquest (Chrysler branded version of the Mitsubishi Starion).

It's styling was just different enough and there were relatively few of them that I usually got noticed wherever I went.  The performance was great, but the two features that stand out in memory are the digital display (relatively uncommon in those days) and the seat comfort, with loads of adjustments.  I really miss the adjustable thigh support on the front edge of the seats.

The digital speedometer was switch-selectable between miles per hour and kilometers per hour.  Occasionally when driving someone around, I'd throw the switch to km/h when at a stop light and gun it when it torned green.  The turbo kicked in and the passenger got a surprise when glancing sideways at the speed display.

We drove that one until it literally rusted apart (thanks to the northern road salt).
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

Austin tried the "Digital dashboard" thing back in the 80's too, which even had a speaking feature too (to tell the driver about warning lights and things, cos it's just too hard to look at the dash!!), didn't last long though, literally, they conked out before the warranty was up, so finding one today that still works is like a needle in a very large and rusty haystack... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5zs6TU32pY

WesternElectricBen

Nissan did it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0e3mRMvCtA

And I seem to remember Ford having an 80's car with one. Though, like you said Paul, uncommon for the day.

Ben