"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first GPO

Started by Adam, February 18, 2013, 04:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Got this in the mail on Saturday, my first GPO telephone set.  eBay BIN $20.00

The body is in excellent condition.  It had a bit of label gunk on the handset which cleaned off nicely.  It did not ring and upon opening it up I discovered a broken ringing lead which I repaired.

The dial is a bit slow and also, it clicks very loudly in the earpiece when dialing, I assume that's not normal.  As I bought it mostly for show, I might not ever get to digging into the guts of the dial to fix that.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LarryInMichigan

You're lucky that you saw that before I did.  Those are awfully difficult to find in red for $20.

The dial parts are mostly nylon.  A good spraying with contact cleaner should fix the dial.  I believe that there are receiver shunting contacts in the dial, so you should not hear loud clicks through the receiver while dialing.  Perhaps the contacts are just dirty.

Larry

twocvbloke

You should have a Rectifier No. 205 on Terminals 1 & 2, if that's missing you'll get loud clicks in the receiver when dialling... :)

It's basically two diodes in parallel, one opposite to the other, so could be easily made up with off-the-shelf parts if need be... :)

Also, looks like your dial needs to be twisted a few degrees clockwise... :D

Adam

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 18, 2013, 05:07:04 PM
You should have a Rectifier No. 205 on Terminals 1 & 2, if that's missing you'll get loud clicks in the receiver when dialling... :)

This could be it, because it also clicks loudly when hanging up.  If there isn't one inside the phone (as opposed to its in there but unwired or improperly wired) then where would one find this little beast?  It would be cool to have an original part for it.

Also, looks like your dial needs to be twisted a few degrees clockwise... :D

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it.  It's hardly noticeable because the plain dial ring makes it look like it's properly aligned.
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

twocvbloke

Quote from: Adam on February 18, 2013, 05:14:06 PMThis could be it, because it also clicks loudly when hanging up.  If there isn't one inside the phone (as opposed to its in there but unwired or improperly wired) then where would one find this little beast?  It would be cool to have an original part for it.

Originals, not sure to be honest (aside from inside other phones), but you can get repro ones which are literally just two diodes inside of heatshrink tubing... :)

Such as these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300858430482

Though unfortunately he doesn't ship overseas...  :-\

Adam

OK.  It was easy to realign the dial by loosening the screw holding the dial attachment ring.

However, now the dial card is misaligned!  :)  How does the dial front come apart so that I can straighten it?

Also, the rectifier No. 205 does appear to be missing...
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

twocvbloke

Quote from: Adam on February 18, 2013, 05:21:13 PMHowever, now the dial card is misaligned!  :)  How does the dial front come apart so that I can straighten it?

Also, the rectifier No. 205 does appear to be missing...

In order of reliability, stick a rubber sucker, piece of blu-tak or sticky tape onto the dial centre, and just pull, and the dial centre just pops off... :)

Adam

Jeez... That was too easy!  :)  Thanks!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

twocvbloke

Quote from: Adam on February 18, 2013, 05:31:00 PM
Jeez... That was too easy!  :)  Thanks!

They're easy phones to play with, er, I mean work on, they come apart with ease, and all the parts are easy to reconfigure to use them on different setups... ;D

david@london

this is helpful...........scroll down to the white 746 pics..........

http://antiquephones.blogspot.co.uk/

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on February 18, 2013, 05:42:38 PM
this is helpful...........scroll down to the white 746 pics..........

http://antiquephones.blogspot.co.uk/

I'd have to disagree with their governor treatment, oiling the cup can result in it losing the friction needed to keep a steady speed, so would result in it dialling too fast, what's needed is the governor to be removed and the the tips of it cleaned and just touched with a tiny bit of oil, that'll loosen it up and keep it running properly... :)

These dials are simple though, they come apart easily and can be cleaned up & lubed with ease, using as little oil as possible, and they'll be quiet and reliable for years to come... :)

LM Ericsson

It looks just like my Red GPO. Except with the older style casing.
Regards,
-Grayson