News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1954 Oxford Grey 500- A Work in Progress

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 13, 2014, 08:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Back in March, I bought a 1954 500 in the elusive Oxford Grey for $31 in an eBay auction. One problem: it's covered in light grey polane. Since then, it's been sitting around my room collecting dust, and I recently decided to finally do something about it. I've sanded most of the handset down to the beautiful dark grey, as well as the front face and left side of the housing. I covered a modified four conductor line cord in Duplicolor "Charcoal Grey" vinyl cover, which makes it look exactly like a straight grey handset cord. A few months back, I installed a black dial bezel and metal fingerwheel, which would have been standard in 1954 (thanks goes to jsowers for the information!). Tomorrow I will probably sand the right side and rear panel of the housing, and more of the handset if I'm lucky.

Previous topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11530.msg122875#msg122875
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Here are pictures of the "full"-color version of 1953/54 and the two-tone version.

The specified dial at the end of 1953 was a 7D-3.
BSP Section C30.011 Issue 6, Dec. 1953 Colored Station Sets

So, in 1954 you are still blessed with options.

PS:  I don't think it was Polane paint. The set was probably repainted late 50s, even 60s, when Polane didn't exist.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on August 13, 2014, 09:29:25 PM
I don't think it was Polane paint. The set was probably repainted late 50s, even 60s, when Polane didn't exist.

Well, it sure is inpenetrable. Sure didn't want to come off in any other way other than sanding.
Christian Petterson

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 13, 2014, 09:56:26 PM
I don't think it was Polane paint. The set was probably repainted late 50s, even 60s, when Polane didn't exist.

Well, it sure is inpenetrable. Sure didn't want to come off in any other way other than sanding.

Well, paint technology was getting sophisticated in the 50s. Not getting it off easily doesn't make it Polane. I can see some wear in the paint on the set already.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on August 13, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Well, paint technology was getting sophisticated in the 50s. Not getting it off easily doesn't make it Polane. I can see some wear in the paint on the set already.
Yeah, just found out that Polane was invented in 1971, so that would make this some other baked-on paint, but it's still really tough to get off, even with sanding!
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Christian, it looks very good. Even the dyed cord. My hands ache thinking about all that sanding. Do it in stages, as you're doing, and take your time. It's coming along nicely. I think what makes the paint tough to get off is that it's so thick. They really laid it on.

Keep us posted.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on August 13, 2014, 10:55:29 PM
Christian, it looks very good. Even the dyed cord. My hands ache thinking about all that sanding. Do it in stages, as you're doing, and take your time. It's coming along nicely. I think what makes the paint tough to get off is that it's so thick. They really laid it on.

Keep us posted.
The cords were actually painted rather than dyed. The coating is imposible to scrape off, and it's really flexible so that it can bend without breaking or warping. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I was actually surprised at how the paint on this phone is much thinner than on my med blue two-tone. It look me about 5 minutes to sand the front end down to plastic, while it took me much longer on my blue 500.
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

Just keep going! The end result will be well worth it. I dream of the day I get my hands on a dark gray in any condition. You are a lucky man!

-Kent

Dan/Panther

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 13, 2014, 10:30:25 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on August 13, 2014, 10:14:23 PM

Yeah, just found out that Polane was invented in 1971, so that would make this some other baked-on paint, but it's still really tough to get off, even with sanding!

It most likely was at best some form of epoxy paint. I don't think a baked on finish.
Has anyone ever tried to glass bead sandblast polane paint. Glass bead is very easy on soft material.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson