News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Model 1212 - "Fat Boy"

Started by Dennis Markham, October 03, 2010, 12:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

It should have screening like an AE40 "mesh".
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Wallphone

Adding to what Jim said, it should be a one piece screen and it should have a "Stromberg-Carlson" decal on the back above the vents. If anyone knows where to get these SC decals please let me know. I looked into getting some made before and it is quite expensive. There was something like a $100 setup charge to do this.

Dennis Markham

Thanks Doug.  I did see an old eBay listing with the Stromberg Carlson decal on the back.  If someone has one of these and can photograph it, I'd be interested in seeing the original screen. 

I haven't tinkered with it yet today but still don't have it ringing.  I'm not SURE that the condenser is the right one for powering the ringer....or I'm not connecting it properly.

Wallphone

Dennis, are you asking for a pic of the screen or the decal? I will try to scan the screen and if it works I will sent it to you. Then you can use it for a template.

Jim Stettler

Gary Goff has had decals made for phones. I don't know if SC is one of them, but the prices were pretty reasonable.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Doug, I was looking to see what the screening material for this phone looks like.  Jim S has offered to send me a piece of material that he has that looks good.  So thanks for your effort on that.  But it looks like I may be in business. 

Wallphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 03, 2010, 12:04:54 AM
I spent the last couple of days in northern Michigan.  On the way back home ..., I got off the freeway and took the "old way" home through a bunch of small towns.  ... I told myself not to bring home any black phones---I have too many now.

However, this phone called out to me.  I don't have a "Fat Boy" in my collection.  It looked to be in good shape with no cracks, chips or any major damage.  The price tag was $20.  I got 10% off so it went "out the door" for just under $20.

A steal, IMO, the kind that I live for, congrats!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bwanna

very nice find, dennis. as usual beautiful work on the clean- up! do tell...where did you find it?
donna

Dennis Markham

Donna, there's an "Antique Mall" on the southeast corner of 83 and 54 near Frankenmuth.  It's east of Birch Run and south of Frankenmuth.  I've been there several times over the years but it's been about two years since the last time.  New owners.  Moved everything out, and new junk in....very nice.  There were a couple more phones there but just your run of the mill stuff.....a 302 with a sticky #6 dial for $30....a wooden wall phone that I had no clue about for $400...a Leich crank dial phone........and an old metal wall phone...like a Stromberg Carlson with an unknown handset.  I think they wanted $75 for that one.  It's a consignment shop so different people owned the phones.

Thanks to the miracle of Google, here are photos of the place.  It looks like that now...same sign on the front.

bwanna

thanks dennis... that place has been closed for a few years, i think it was early last summer when they re-opened. i was there 2-3months ago. i bought some jade-ite, but did not see any phones. did you stop at the other shop on the west side of 54 just north? did you go down thru millington after that? there are a couple nice shops there.

i was glad to hear that you did not find it in armada. i was going to kick myself for not getting out of bed to go there this morn :o
donna

Dennis Markham

I went to the antique store just south of Millington on M-15.  Then down to Davison, over to Lapeer and back this way.  I didn't make Armada today either. 

Dennis Markham

By the way, I finally figured out the ringing issue...it's working fine now.

bwanna

donna