News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Earliest G1 Mounting?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 21, 2015, 12:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I was wondering if anyone knew the year the G1 mounting (aka Space-Saver) was introduced. I know it was designed to essentially be the wall version of the 202, so I would guess it was introduced in the mid-'30s???

I have one that I'm going to restore dated 1938.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

G-Man

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 21, 2015, 12:25:02 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew the year the G1 mounting (aka Space-Saver) was introduced. I know it was designed to essentially be the wall version of the 202, so I would guess it was introduced in the mid-'30s???

I have one that I'm going to restore dated 1938.

In 1935, Western Electric was offering only the C1-mounting. Since your G1-mounting is dated 1938, then it was within the range of a couple of years that it was introduced. If you need a more precise date, then a search of the TCI Library may help you find it.

Doug Rose

I have seen them dated '37 ans was surprised WE made them so early. I had always though they were from the 40s...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Issue 1 of BSP Section C32.104 is dated 1936-09-15.

Some of the first references:
BSP Section C32.104 i1 360915, Hand Telephone Sets; Hanging Type; Description
BSP Section C32.375 i2 360925, Hand Set Mountings; A, B, C, D, E, and G Types; Tests and Adjustments
BSP Section C32.324 i3 361030, ?
BSP Section D353.258 i1 380515, Hand Telephone Sets; Hanging Type; Cording

WEBellSystemChristian

I realized right afterI posted this that if it were introduced in the mid-'30s, the current handset at the time (E1) would't have fit the hook. 1937 sounds like the correct first-production year, because that was the year the F1 handset was announced.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 21, 2015, 08:59:26 AM
I realized right afterI posted this that if it were introduced in the mid-'30s, the current handset at the time (E1) would't have fit the hook. 1937 sounds like the correct first-production year, because that was the year the F1 handset was announced.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Even Issue 3 (1958) of BSP C32.104 still shows a drawing of E1E handset with G1 mounting.
(TCI library) http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3290-c32-104-i3-hand-telephone-sets-hanging-type-description-tl
If the handset mounting and telephone set mounting codes were assigned in alphabetical order, then the G mounting would have been introduced before H (1936).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.