News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ae 50 labelling

Started by rbouch, October 15, 2015, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbouch

I'm working on my first ae50 and I am curious about the labelling on the phone.  See the picture below.

Most of these phones I see on the Internet don't have the Monophone label across the top.  This one does.  I have been careful not to polish or clean near the label, but is this location normal and why do most of the 50's I see not have this label in that location?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Phonesrfun

The Monophone desk set has the decal-type label on the bottom of the phone.  The back of the wall phone is usually screwed to the wall where you could not see the label, so it seems like a likely place for it to be on the wall phone.   I am pretty sure I have seen these with the label on the top like that, but my own phone doesn't have it there. 
-Bill G

rbouch

Thanks,
That's what I thought.  This one came out of Seattle, m aybe things were different out there.....

Phonesrfun

Quote from: rbouch on October 15, 2015, 11:36:30 PM
Thanks,
That's what I thought.  This one came out of Seattle, m aybe things were different out there.....

As a former resident of Seattle and current resident of the state of Washington, I can confirm that things are "different" here, but probably not for all the reasons you might think.   ;D
-Bill G

rbouch

Hah,
Well here's the rest of the phone.

Excuse the drywall plugs.  I had a uniphone #2 hanging there until I put this one up

Phonesrfun

Here's mine.

<edit>

Grrrr..... I see the iphone issue with photos is alive and well again.  Tilt your heads 90 degrees to the left to view.

======================

EDIT: Only the thumbnail shows incorrectly. Seems the SMF thumbnail software does not or can not read the META data attached to the full sized photo by the smart phone. If you click on the sideways thumbnail, it displays the full sized picture correctly.

I stripped the META data, rotated the picture and attached it.
-Bill G

rbouch

Is that an extensicord?  (asked with jealousy)

Phonesrfun

Yes, I was fortunate to find one a few years ago New Old Stock (NOS).  Unfortunately, visitors who come over don't seem to even notice the uniqueness of that cord. 
-Bill G

mentalstampede

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 16, 2015, 12:40:30 AM
Yes, I was fortunate to find one a few years ago New Old Stock (NOS).  Unfortunately, visitors who come over don't seem to even notice the uniqueness of that cord. 

wowzers!
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

19and41

I'll bet most of the labels on top succumbed to cleaning and polishing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

wds

I've had several of the model 50, and all of them had the label on the top.  I would also guess that the ones without the label were probably removed by the owners.
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 15, 2015, 11:40:56 PM
Quote from: rbouch on October 15, 2015, 11:36:30 PM
Thanks,

As a former resident of Seattle and current resident of the state of Washington, I can confirm that things are "different" here, but probably not for all the reasons you might think.   ;D

Yup.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

My AE 50 never had the decal on it. only the model number stamp on the back. I am under the impression that these labels were  taken off over time. (cleaning the unit, etc.) since they are water decals, they are easily replaced by ordering new ones from oldphoneworks.com (the labels have been reproduced.) basically all it is, is the manufacturer label and patent Nos. and dates. nothing real important. it doesn't effect the value of the phone. Also, for all those guys who own this phone, it is advised the phone be mounted on a Backboard to avoid the hassle of mounting the phone to the wall. I had a friend make me one for mine and I added a #228 modular plate to it do it could be plugged into a existing modular wall jack.  that way if the phone is ever moved, it comes off quickly! having the unit hardwired is hard since the phone is a bit heavy. My AE 50 is now a museum piece as I have it hanging in my kitchen as accent art.
John