News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Post Shorter Links on the Forum

Started by TelePlay, November 26, 2016, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

One thing TinyURL does offer is a "preview" function, which allows a user to click the TunyURL link and it takes them to the TinyURL webside which then shows where the link is pointing to, so the destination URL is known...

An example:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/zw69asx

You can also turn on a feature on TinyURL that automatically takes a normal shortened link and directs you to that preview page, only just learned that while playing with the preview link... :)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 07, 2016, 12:00:36 AM
One thing TinyURL does offer is a "preview" function, which allows a user to click the TunyURL link and it takes them to the TinyURL webside which then shows where the link is pointing to, so the destination URL is known...

As I mentioned, this feature randomly disables itself to the point that I no longer use it.

Jack

twocvbloke

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 07, 2016, 12:50:00 AM
As I mentioned, this feature randomly disables itself to the point that I no longer use it.

Apparently it's related to cookies stored on your computer, so, if you clear those out often, then it'll disable that feature... :)

Jack Ryan

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 07, 2016, 12:57:48 AM
Apparently it's related to cookies stored on your computer, so, if you clear those out often, then it'll disable that feature... :)

I'm sure it is. I don't accept third party cookies but I don't often clear others.

It would be a useful feature if they implemented it in a more robust manner - they simply choose not to.

Jack