News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very Different 302 on eBay 270794659010

Started by Doug Rose, August 15, 2011, 03:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this auction on eBay and it came today. It is really a super phone, one of the designer colors that WE was doing in the late 40s - early 50's. When I got the phone the first thing I noticed was there were not clear plungers. These always had clear plungers. Then after a closer look, short ears, small plungers. Oh my! Well, there is no grate under lift, but there is the wooden post. WE used everything. On a 1946 phone! I knew the handset set was bad and I have installed a brown one. I still have the original, but just not what I need. Ivory cloth cords, this is one special phone. What's the vote, keep the original handset or stay with the replacement brown....Doug

http://tinsel.com/3lymph833
Kidphone

Doug Rose

the way it came
Kidphone

rdelius

1937 shells had the small plungers and short ears
Robby

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on August 15, 2011, 03:43:16 PM
1937 shells had the small plungers and short ears
Robby
we are in agreement...Doug
Kidphone

wds

Can you post a picture of the bottom of the base?
Dave

Tom B

Doug
Stick with the brown handset - it looks great IMO.
Tom

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on August 15, 2011, 04:06:05 PM
Doug
Stick with the brown handset - it looks great IMO.
Tom...me too. I'd love for the handset to be perfect, but I am thrilled the base has such little damage. I was expecting for this to go well beyond what I wanted to spend. A 37 base to boot...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Looks like a win-win to me Doug, I like them both. Very nice!

Dan

sTAY WITH THE BROWN HANDSET. gREAT BUY!!!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

Mark Scola has been collecting telephones for over 40 years. I have known Mark for over 10 years from the ATCA and he got me my matching handset for my Blood Red 302. He is a very knowledgeable collector. Mark and Dennis M are also friends and live close to each other.  I sent him an email of this link and hear are his thoughts.

"What you have there is a very clean "Oxidized Silver". I have 102's & 202's that are older but my "Oxidized Silver" is from 1946. I see yours is too.....They would grab a set and refurbish it in the Metallic colors . You have one real rare set as I've never seen an "Oxidized Silver" made out of a short eared 302."

His thoughts on keeping it as found.

"The Handset should be painted to match the phone. If it were me I would display it with the original handset. Remember these are only original once.  I have several of these sets and I display them as found. Like classic cars, They are only original once. IMHO. Too Cool, you found a beauty."

Mark is an expert painter and has painted some phones I have in my collection. I asked him if he could fix the defects in the handset set. He thought the phone should be displayed warts and all. I am going to listen to his opinion and put the original handset back on.

I got lucky on this one. There are still great phones out there waiting to be found....Doug

Kidphone

old_phone_man

Doug,

It's a good looking phone either way, but I think you're right in keeping the original handset on it.

I think this is a good candidate for the August Find of the Month.

Jon

AE_Collector

Doug:

Did you ever tell us how many thousand you paid for this on ebaY? I thought the link in your first post would be to the auction but it takes me to some unrealted site.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_collector on August 16, 2011, 07:08:36 PM
Doug:

Did you ever tell us how many thousand you paid for this on ebaY? I thought the link in your first post would be to the auction but it takes me to some unrealted site.

Terry

I found this on ebay from the listing number in Doug's posting.  It was $71 or so.  Not bad.

Larry

AE_Collector

Ooops, the link distracted me and I didn't even notice that the ebaY listing number was included in Doug's initial post.

$70.79 plus $24.50 shipping. 116 people looked at it but Doug owns it now!

Terry