News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you get the cover off a Leich 901C?

Started by Greg G., August 25, 2011, 01:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

The obvious way is the wrong way (the 4 screws on the bottom).  The screw in the back separates it partly, but it seems the crank is in the way.  There's a small screw in the middle of it, but darned if I can get it loose.  Screw drivers small enough to fit don't have enough torque.  I picked up two of these at an antique store for $25 each.  My first Leich's.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

As I recall, the magneto crank comes off by rotating it counterclockwise.  You may need to give the handle a firm tap or two to free the threads.  Then loosening the one screw in the back should free the housing.

Check out this GSP for more info on the set...
  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=496&Itemid=2
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Paul is correct. A quick backwards turn of the crank to remove it and loosen the one screw at the back of the housing.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on August 25, 2011, 10:49:49 AM
Paul is correct. A quick backwards turn of the crank to remove it and loosen the one screw at the back of the housing.

Terry

That worked.  Key word being "quick" and/or "sharp".  Simply rotating it backwards won't work.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: paul-f on August 25, 2011, 02:04:39 AMrotating it counterclockwise

Quote from: AE_Collector on August 25, 2011, 10:49:49 AMquick backwards turn of the crank

Quote from: Greg G. on August 25, 2011, 03:04:58 PM"quick" and/or "sharp".  Simply rotating it backwards won't work.

Thank you all!  I was having the most difficult time trying to remove the screw in the middle of the crank handle.  Well, of course, it would not unscrew; it is not a screw!  The quick, sharp, backward turn did the trick easy as pie.

Wade