"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 Sets

Started by intagas, June 18, 2014, 09:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intagas

Hi,
Great site for rotary phones.  I wish TCI and ATCA which I'm not a member of had this type of open forum.  Much faster than listservs.  At any rate, the 500 sets I have here will be for sale on eBay in the future.  Bought these decades ago.  I do not collect later stuff.  Questions are:  is there a more appropriate line cord than the curly line cord (handset) that someone has or that I can buy before I sell them?  Maybe a silver modular would be okay and where can I buy these? One more question - what's involved with taking off plastic finger wheels?  Also have several nice vented 302s that I will be selling in the future.    Thanks,

LarryInMichigan

Those are nice phones.  Leave the cords as they are.  The phones will be more valuable to collectors with the cords as they are.  The curly line cord may be correct.  Are the wires in it red, white, and black or green, red, and yellow?

Larry

intagas

Whoops - sorry - one more question.  What is the name of the color for the green one so I can describe the color accurately when selling.  Year is '57 - all numbers matching.  Blue ones are '56.  From what I gather, color is Mediterranean Blue. 

LarryInMichigan

The green is usually called "moss green".  The blue is in fact the rare Mediterranean blue.  I would love to get one of them, but they usually sell well above my budget.

Larry

Dennis Markham

intagas, for finger wheel removal, consult this site:

http://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porticus/bell/telephones-technical_dials-rotary.html

The finger wheel on the Blue phone on the left looks like a "hard center" wheel.  The original would have been an "open center" like the one with the "R" on the dial card cover.

~Dennis

WesternElectricBen

Consult Dennis' sight, the two phones on the right hand side have soft centers, (green and blue) the one facing away has the hard.

Ben

intagas

Good eye, gentlemen!!  The phone with the "R"  is a '56 numbers matching.  The one on the left is a '56 with a '62 case and dial. 

WesternElectricBen

Really??

I never thought they made mediterranean blue phone parts past 1962.

Ben

paul-f

Quote from: intagas on June 18, 2014, 10:06:59 AM
What is the name of the color for the green one so I can describe the color accurately when selling.  Year is '57 - all numbers matching.

When originally announced, it was simply "green."  The marketing folks from the operating comapnies got into the act and created a bunch of creative color descriptions in addition to moss green to liven up the sales pitches.  Several are cataloged here:

http://www.paul-f.com/color.htm#WE500
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

intagas

Rechecked - dial tc-60 5-62      case s16   362  both in yellow  Lost a post,curly line cord wires are green red and yellow

WesternElectricBen

Wow, who knew, could you post a picture for us?

Ben

intagas

Don't think a pic would help,stamping is vague. sorry

intagas

7c not tc on dial,old eyes used to 2s 4s and 5s

Dennis Markham

Quote from: intagas on June 18, 2014, 11:21:51 AM
Rechecked - dial tc-60 5-62      case s16   362  both in yellow  Lost a post,curly line cord wires are green red and yellow

The number you're reading on the housing on the phone facing away, is probably 1 6 56 2.  That color was discontinued in '58 so the housing couldn't be from '62.  Don't know what the "s" is either unless that is 5 16 56 2.  That would be May 15, 1956.  We "believe" the "2" indicates the second shift of the day at the manufacturing plant. 

intagas

I believe your correct on the case,hard to see stamping not good.any idea on the dial stamped 7c-60  5-62 that's a hole lot clearer.