and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hotel phone

Started by Greg G., January 04, 2010, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on January 04, 2010, 09:17:14 PM
Quote from: ntophones
I just saw one of those in a Humphrey Bogart movie! I wish I could remember which one. The movie wasn't that great, but, the phone was neat! Congrats!

When Briny first told us about this phone in another thread, I thought I saw it in a Bogey movie too. I skimmed over "The Big Sleep" and it wasn't there. Maybe "The Maltese Falcon"?

What Bogey movies have you watched lately, ntophones? I want to know, because I'd love to post a nice still shot of Bogey on the same phone as Briny's . 8)

Congrats, Briney, it looks great. What a classic.

Probably Maltese Falcon cuz I had that one in my Netflix instant watch que.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

ntophones

Well, the movie was really one I'd never heard of. It was on TCM over the holidays. It had Bogey hiding out in a boarding house. The girl in the movie (forgot who she was) was putting on some sort of musical at the same boarding house.
Of course, they were in love. :)
Wasn't memorable, except for the phone, IMO.
--nto

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on January 05, 2010, 05:46:11 AM

Where do I hook up the line cord?  I don't see any dates on this, but the dial is from the early 50s, and this is a 30s era phone I believe.  I was thinking I wanted a "period correct" dial, but then it occurred to me that they didn't have dials in the end-user phones in the 30s, so maybe this is a "period correct" dial after all.

Parts eh?  Well, I could also use a black WE handset cord for my 5302.  The one that's on it is very stretched.  I wanted to put a good one on it while I tried fixing it as it's the one I use beside my bed.  I could always use line cords.  I'm also looking for parts for my 52 WE 500, everything from the base up in black.  It was "modernized" by putting a modular beige housing and handset on it, but the base and network are all original (and very clean) 52.  I want to convert it back to an original black 52 phone.  Also need gongs for one of my 302s.

Line cord goes on the terminal block inside to L1 and to L2/Y

Charles probably does not have any of the other parts you are talking about.  He is mostly a woodie collector, but he does have ringers.  I can check to see what else from your wish list he has.  He has lots of stuff, but it is all kind of stashed away and not at all cataloged.

On the dial:

A '50's dial would not be at all incorrect for this phone.  It probably started out in life as a manual phone, and was then converted over to dial service in the 50's.  There were definitely dials in the 20's and 30's and that is why the phone you have is designed to take a dial.

Wouldn't you love to have been a phone installer whose job it was to go to 10,000 homes and convert manual phones all over to dial phones when an exchange was switching over?  They used to send someone out to each and every installation to do that!

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, that's what one would call "job security".  Converting all those manual phones to dial service.

bingster

Quote from: Brinybay on January 05, 2010, 05:46:11 AM
Where do I hook up the line cord?  I don't see any dates on this, but the dial is from the early 50s, and this is a 30s era phone I believe.  I was thinking I wanted a "period correct" dial, but then it occurred to me that they didn't have dials in the end-user phones in the 30s, so maybe this is a "period correct" dial after all.

The red and green from the incoming line connect to L1 and L2.  One is on the induction coil, the other is on the connecting block above the coil.  The phone is stamped inside with "330" which is March, 1930. 

They definitely had dial service in many places in the 1920s and 1930s, and this is a phone from such a place.  The manual service (non-dial) version has the transmitter centered on the front of the case, and a dial can't be fitted to it, so  this one was a dial phone from the very start.  It would have had a #2 or #4 dial originally.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

There's always room for ONE more! 

I really like this phone.  One of these days I hope to get my hands on one.  It would be easy to replace that 5H dial with a #4 or #2 as Bingster suggested.

That transmitter, isn't that what is commonly called a "bulldog" transmitter?  How is the clarity with one of those?  I would assume that when this phone is connected it will be connected as a side-tone set?

bingster

Yep, the transmitter face is the newer "bulldog" type, designed to accommodate the better sounding F1 transmitter cartridge.  It's interesting that the receiver wasn't updated at the same time.  And side-tone, definitely.  All the 500 series wall phones are side-tone, the 600 series wall phones are anti side-tone.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I didn't know the 554's were side-tone sets.  How/why that late in the game?

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 05, 2010, 04:03:38 PM
Charles probably does not have any of the other parts you are talking about.  He is mostly a woodie collector, but he does have ringers.  I can check to see what else from your wish list he has.  He has lots of stuff, but it is all kind of stashed away and not at all cataloged.

-Bill

Just tested it, everything works fine except it doesn't ring, so I need a ringer.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 05, 2010, 07:10:27 PM
I didn't know the 554's were side-tone sets.  How/why that late in the game?

Different types of phones had different numbering schemes and designations.  The "500 series" and 600 series" as it relates to sidetone/anti sidetone only applies to these older wall phones.  As far as I know, the later, more familiar, 500 series desk/wall phones were all anti-sidetone. 

= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

Can you feel any movement in the clapper when it should be ringing?  It may just need an adjustment.

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I think we were talking apples and oranges.  When you wrote that the 500 series wall phones were side-tone, I was thinking the plastic 554's, not the early 500 series phones like this.  Short circuit in the brain.  Sorry.

bingster

I put it confusingly.  Part of it comes from the fact that WE used "500 series" designations twice.  Once in the 1920s  then again in the 1950s for something completely different.  There's also a lot of opposite overlapping that goes on.  For example, a 100 series desk stand (candlestick) is anti-sidetone, while a 100 series handset telephone is sidetone.  So it's not just apples and oranges, it's more like apples, oranges, pears, pomegranates, kiwi fruit... ;)
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on January 05, 2010, 07:03:15 PM
Yep, the transmitter face is the newer "bulldog" type, designed to accommodate the better sounding F1 transmitter cartridge.  It's interesting that the receiver wasn't updated at the same time.  

I'm very pleased with the clarity of the receiver, as good as any of the newer 500s I have.
- Mike Row
e