News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice Try! (Painted Blue 302)

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 30, 2015, 10:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Did this seller really think a buyer would be fooled by this painted 302? They describe it as having a "highly sought after blue moulded plastic housing", even though it clearly shows black plastic underneath the paint where the cradle ear broke off. They have a $299 starting bid on it; I doubt anyone will bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161656149370
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

I'm shock and amazed at what this seller is trying to do.  Even I know its a fake and I might be the dumbest guy on the forum!  (Maybe not, but it seems like it sometimes.)

DavePEI

Someone will bid - after all, there is a sucker born every minute. No wonder some sellers list things as they do. Pity the guy on the other end.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

Looks like they didn't get a bite.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Here is the story: this phone used to be mine as on astute member of the Forum knew my the dial card. I displayed this proudly for years until I got the real deal. I contacted the seller and seller was extremely nice. Seller took it down after I told her it was painted. Seller bought the phone from a collector as part of a big group of phones. Below is a copy of our conversation (reads bottom to top). ...Doug

New message from: kesla67 Top Rated Seller (420Turquoise Star)
Oh my gosh, I am taking it down now.  I saw the tape marks on the receiver interior but I figured they would have been painted.  And  yes, suspect on the break but I didn't realize it would be a solid molded piece and not a molded layer. Lesson learned.  I had no crazy expectations for this one since it was reconditioned, and I could see the other repair still apparent on other side of the cradle. Next time I may just list with pictures and let all you experts help it find its true value and not struggle so much. 

So happy for the information thank you for taking the time to email me in the first place. I bought over 100 telephones,  maybe from the estate of your buyer (it came from So California and it got moved to Illinois for sale) I still needed the reminder to find an expert and save myself time and energy.  VERY much appreciated. Joelle
YOU:

Joelle....this phone is a painted Blue 302 and not the real deal, I had this in my collection until I found the real one. As you can see where the cradle ear is broken, it is black. It looks like this poor guy was dropped or packed poorly in shipment. I do restoration work, but this is a lost casue with the damage you have. I sold this for $200 three years ago when I found my Blue thermoplastic 302. It was perfect. I do collect phones first and sell them secondly. Where this is a painted phone there is no hope for it. It is a parts phone worth little or no money. Sorry for the bad news....Doug
kesla67:

Hi Doug. I had a feeling that this dial card was personal and even tried to look up information online. I agree that it was certainly a shame to discover it had been mishandled and broken. I see you sell phones so I hope it wasn't a personal phone you parted with and regret. Did you do the restoration yourself professionally or collect phones. I bought a large amount of phones at a mid west auction house and considered having this one repaired but didn't really have the first place to start. It is hard to resist the urge to keep everything beautiful that I buy as I am not a collector. If you happen to know of a restoration company (east of Ohio preferably) I would greatly appreciate the information.

Joelle
YOU:

that phone was mine, the dial card is one I had made up. It is a shame to see it end up this way...Doug
Kidphone