and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The "Unwritten" Rule - Posting Links to Active eBay Listings

Started by Dennis Markham, February 11, 2010, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Same here, less is more in this case, less rules = more information

Dennis Markham

Agreed.  We really have pretty simple rules.  Keep and clean and if it's off topic, take it to the off topic section.  I would hate to make more rules.  Just use good judgment which everyone seems to do.  Light and relaxed.  Just to post a link to a live auction to post it is one thing, but if someone wants advice about a certain phone, or what does one think about this one, I don't see a problem personally.  In the end it will go for what it's going to go for whether or not we talk about it here.

The purpose is to talk about telephones and telephone related things...like a sewing circle...for telephone stuff.

~Dennis

kleenax

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 13, 2010, 01:31:54 PM
I would say let's just call it; "all bets off", just post auctions if you feel there is an interest.
Let's not complicate the forum, or make a situation where someone may get offended.
It's not worth it.
D/P

I always smiled and shook my head when I heard this topic brought up in the past.

My gosh, haven't you phone collectors ever been to a REAL vintage telephone auction? Everybody bids on what they are interested in owning! That's why they call it an
A-U-C-T-I-O-N !

Keeping things "hush-hush", hoping that behaviour will get you a (unrealistic) below-market price reminds me of when I was a kid -

A "few" of us neighborhood kids knew a certain gas station that had a shed out back where they kept their soda-pop stored, and "ever so often", old Jim would forget and leave the door unlocked on Saturday night for some reason. Well, those few of us who knew about it could get a REAL GOOD PRICE on soda-pop if you went early enough on Sunday morning before Old Jim would get there and see the door unlocked and lock it back up!

Dang, then you could only get a soda by "paying market price" of 10 cents!

Do you get my drift?  That's exactly my opinion of the theory of not posting a live-link (of possible interest to others) and keeping things "hush-hush"; it kind of smacks of "shady" so a few can get a good deal at the expense of others.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

The existence of an "unwritten rule" is over-stated.  I don't think anyone is going to care about discussion of an auction in the Telephones or Vintage Telephones sections on eBay, especially if they have bidders or if you have a legitimate question about it.  But if you post something like:

"Did you see the Mediterranean Blue 500 listed  as "Old telafone" with one blurry picture in eBay's "Mid-Century Modern" section?  It's $9.99 with 15 minutes to go and has only one bidder?"

In the last few minutes, 57 more bidders drive the price up to $455 dollars and price out the first bidder.  In this scenario the seller will be delighted with you.  The winning bidder will be delighted with you.  The first bidder may get a little annoyed with you, however.  Everyone else will be puzzled why you didn't bid on it yourself.

The scenario mentioned above is an exaggeration.  However, things like this happen frequently.  A lot of us spend many (too many) hours on eBay looking at every auction and trying to ferret out the bargains.  Some want rare items and aren't particular about the price.    Either way we do not want added attention drawn to the items we are bidding on/watching.  So if you post links to active auctions there is a chance you may irritate someone.  That is why some of us are reluctant are considerate of the potential of annoying others when posting links to active auctions, not because of some "unwritten rule".   It's not a very firm non-rule either.  After all, I don't mind at all when someone posts a link to something I didn't catch!  I have probably benefited from people "outing" auctions more than I have suffered. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

Quite a few times the topic was about a particular type of phone and I mentioned that I would like to get one of those phones. Someone posted a link and I was lucky enough to win the bid.

I agree with the non hush-hush position.  If a person does find that hidden diamond they can keep quiet and hope that no one asks/posts any questions.  If a link is posted, oh well I guess it was not all that hidden.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

markosjal

If I list a model XYZ on ebay and I think someone here may be interested in it, I should be able to post it.

If I see a model that I like and might think it is rare and ask about it, I realize that I might be calling attention to that auction or buy it now and out it at risk of paying a higher price or losing out completely.

I would always hope , that if I want I can post the listing and ask another opionin though . Breaking an "unspoken" rule seems a bit crazy to me though

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Jim Stettler

Quote from: markosjal on July 08, 2019, 03:48:27 PMIf I list a model XYZ on ebay and I think someone here may be interested in it, I should be able to post it.

That is what PM's are for.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait until you find  an item you are wanting, and then  someone else outs it to the forum and a collector with deeper pockets buys it out from under you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand both sides of the matter. It is preferred that auctions are brought up after they close.
If the item is unsold then the seller can be contacted by an interested member.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a link for some phones on eBay. Someone on this forum is interested in at least 1 of the phones. So I feel I should out them to people who don't follow eBay.

Kinda silly from that viewpoint, isn't it.
JMO,
Jim S.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Telephones/38036/bn_2313828
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

compubit

Quote from: Jim Stettler on July 08, 2019, 05:38:26 PM
Here is a link for some phones on eBay. Someone on this forum is interested in at least 1 of the phones. So I feel I should out them to people who don't follow eBay.

Kinda silly from that viewpoint, isn't it.
JMO,
Jim S.
https://www.ebay.com/b/Collectible-Telephones/38036/bn_2313828

Nooooooooooo!You have away my secret link! I'm never going to win another auction again since you ruined my chances!!!!!!

::)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: compubit on July 08, 2019, 09:40:39 PM
Nooooooooooo!You have away my secret link! I'm never going to win another auction again since you ruined my chances!!!!!!

::)

Jim
In the early days of the ATCA listsever and eBay. that was a sometimes attitude. (eBay is secret).
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.