News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich phone won on eBay

Started by andre_janew, March 14, 2015, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

This is my new Leich telephone I purchased on eBay for $13.99 plus $17 shipping.

Here is the link:  www.ebay.com/itm/201293585381

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: andre_janew on March 14, 2015, 08:26:54 PM
I would like to nominate the Leich telephone I purchased on eBay for $13.99 plus $17 shipping.  I'd really love to show some photos I took of it, but the new system won't allow me to post them.

------------------------------

EDIT:  Photo added

Hi Andre,

That actually isn't a Leich, it's an Automatic Electric 80.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 14, 2015, 08:49:10 PM
Quote from: andre_janew on March 14, 2015, 08:26:54 PM
I would like to nominate the Leich telephone I purchased on eBay for $13.99 plus $17 shipping.  I'd really love to show some photos I took of it, but the new system won't allow me to post them.

------------------------------

EDIT:  Photo added

Hi Andre,

That actually isn't a Leich, it's an Automatic Electric 80.

Ben
It's possible that it could be a Leich convertible model. They look almost identical to the 80; kind if like a 500 vs a 5302.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I stand corrected, it does say Leich in the last picture.

Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 14, 2015, 08:57:37 PM
I stand corrected, it does say Leich in the last picture.

Ben

Well, it is labeled as an AE Monophone that was made by Leich. So, wasn't it a Leich phone until transferred to AE for distribution?

unbeldi

Leich was bought out by General Telephone in the 50s, which also owned Automatic Electric buy then.  Leich continued under their name until the 60s and many parts carried their brand, but the product was really a hybrid of them all.

andre_janew

I also have an AE 80.  They are similar.  The dials are a bit different inside and out.  Underneath that sticker is some sort of adjustment for the ringer.  That is something my 80 doesn't have.  Also, the Leich is heavier than the 80.  The handset cord comes out the back on the Leich whereas it comes out the side on the 80.  Now if I could just post the pictures I took of the Leich . . . .

rdelius

Some of the earlier type 80 sets were made by leich but branded AE.Mostly the 1950s sets with the potted network and loop adjust.It is also possible that the move from Chicago to Northlake might have something to do with it if not enough sets could be built at Chicago  .Earlier sets have chrome  plungers,cords out the back,dial mounts with screws instead of a spring latch.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

There is a date in the lower right hand corner of 3-57.  There is no center hole in the receiver cap.  It does have the chrome plungers.  Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Leich phone.  Anyway, the plungers have a bit of black paint on the tips.  I suppose they could've been painted black at one time.

andre_janew

Finally figured out how to post some pictures on this forum!  Here is what is under that sticker and what I believe is the date of the phone:

andre_janew

I did say that the receiver cap doesn't have a center hole and I have the picture to prove it.  The receiver element is a bit different than what I expected.  The transmitter looks like I expected it would.

andre_janew

I also have a few pictures of the network.

andre_janew

I have a picture of the ringer and according to the label, it shouldn't work.  However, it does work.  Was it mislabeled?  Altered?

andre_janew

Here is a picture of the dial.  Yes, one of the cover screws is missing.  It was that way when I got it.  The 4-36 machine screws I have are the right size and pitch, but not long enough.