News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 40 - Phone Co - Fire Dept. Pass Badge

Started by Dan/Panther, December 08, 2009, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I found this on ebay, and thought that with the unusual nature, time left and high bids already it would make a good auction.
D/P

http://tinyurl.com/yhjfvwf

S C O R E B O A R D
$50.00 - JorgeAmely
$89.00 - Dan
$92.50 - Bill Cahill
$125.00 - AtomicEraTom
$145.00 - bingster
$175.56 - Brinybay
$217.88 - Dennis Markham
$319.58 - bwanna
$325.00 - mienaichizu
$375.50 - Tonyrotary
$475.00 - ntophones (Winner!)
Sold for $531.67
$650.00 - Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

We've never done this one before, that's for sure.   So I'm guessing that the phone company employee who possessed this badge was free to move beyond the line the fire department put up to keep people back from a fire?  Pretty nifty. 

I have no earthly clue what this would go for, but I'll guess $145.
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on December 08, 2009, 01:24:30 AM
So I'm guessing that the phone company employee who possessed this badge was free to move beyond the line the fire department put up to keep people back from a fire? 

Yeah, what the heck is (or was) it's purpose?

$175.56
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I'll guess $650.00.
My take is that at one time Phone service was not considered an emergency service, and as things evolved they needed special permission to cross fire lines, for whatever reason. My guess is after the fire was contained, they went in to assess damage, and to repair ahead of the public.
In Southern California as you may now know, fires can quickly cover thousands of acres of land, much of it sparesly populated, with very expensive homes.
After all a well to do can't return to the mansion, and not have working phone service, this was before cell phones by the looks of the badge.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

$50.00 - based on the reception of the Kellogg phones.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

AET

- Tom

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 08, 2009, 12:43:12 PM
My take is that at one time Phone service was not considered an emergency service, and as things evolved they needed special permission to cross fire lines, for whatever reason. My guess is after the fire was contained, they went in to assess damage, and to repair ahead of the public.
In Southern California as you may now know, fires can quickly cover thousands of acres of land, much of it sparesly populated, with very expensive homes.
After all a well to do can't return to the mansion, and not have working phone service, this was before cell phones by the looks of the badge.
D/P

Boy, they just don't make them like they used to, do they?  If there's still an equivalent need today, instead of a gorgeous sterling badge, it's probably been replaced by a cheap plastic ID card.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

bwanna

it's at 153$, with 4 1/2 days of bidding left.... so i will say 319.58
donna

ntophones

I'm going to try 475.00
--nto

Tonyrotary

bingster

The auction is over and ntophones is the winner of this contest!  The auction closed at an amazing $531.67.  Congratulations, ntophones!
= DARRIN =