News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Crank Phone?

Started by AE40FAN, November 11, 2012, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

I didn't realize that either.  I took it apart for cleaning so I know the cradle detaches.  Very cool.  Yes, and the finish is textured.  The paint on this is great...just some minor chipping around the cradle ears that I can probably touch up.  Thanks Sebbel for looking into cords for me I look forward to hearing from you.

sebbel

Quote from: AE40FAN on November 15, 2012, 07:01:34 PM
I took it apart for cleaning so I know the cradle detaches.  V

See! I save you both the trouble of buying the 'desktop' model. :)
Seb.

DavePEI

Ok, noticing the condition of the insides of the phone in one of the early shots in this discussion, it had reminded me of something in the deep dark recesses of my mind.

Back in the early 70s, I worked with a company who did servicing for Instronics, Tally, Schulmberger and other manufacturers. This was my first job after high school, which I worked for about a year until I went to Ryerson.

They had a great cleaner which came in a 45 gallon drum. They used to dip entire instruments in it, and they would come out just as though they had just come off the line. I can't remember exactly what the chemical was, and I suspect it was highly dangerous. I don't think it was carbon tet. But, many years ago, the fellow who did most of the dipping of equipment passed away from leukemia, and his leukemia was blamed on the chemical.

Anyone have any idea what the chemical might have been?

I wish there was a safe chemical like this today. You could dip the instrument, tubes, coils, and transformers in it, and half an hour later, plug it in. Amazing stuff, other than the long term health result. Even cloth cords would up coming out looking brand new.

It would have been great on phones (though perhaps not on the cases - though I never saw it damage any plastics).

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE40FAN

Cleaned it up and found the exact handset cord on eBay for 10 bucks to replace the badly frayed one.  Will have a new matching line cord coming soon courtesy of a fellow forum member.  I took it apart to clean and then put it back together and unfortunately now I can't get the plunger mechanism to work properly.  So it will remain in the down position for now..

dsk

:D Unbelievable, looks like new! :D

dsk

AE40FAN

I can't figure out for the life of me why the plunger will not work properly?!  That metal instrument (whatever it's called) is not latching properly to the plunger and I'm not sure why or how?  Attached is a photo if anyone can figure out why or if anyone has an internal phone shot for comparison....