News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What makes this car phone rare and valuable?

Started by MagicMo, January 04, 2013, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

VINTAGE WESTERN ELECTRIC ROTARY RADIO TELEPHONE CAR PHONE SERVICE PHONE RARE. Can someone explain to me why this phone was so popular on ebay? 47 bidders selling at $325. I have 3 phones that are similar along with all the extra stuff needed for the car.

Are my phones that valuable??

FIRST PIC IS THE EBAY PHONE
Second and third are my phones.
Thanks
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

paul-f

Quote from: MagicMo on January 04, 2013, 12:08:23 AM

More than likely!  These are unusually hot right now.  I sold an earlier model to a car enthusiast who promptly removed the handset and substituted a G-style bluetooth handset so he could use the handset with his cell phone.  It's a relatively small expense when compared to the rest of the restoration cost.

One never knows how long this will last.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

G-Man

Quote from: MagicMo on January 04, 2013, 12:08:23 AM
VINTAGE WESTERN ELECTRIC ROTARY RADIO TELEPHONE CAR PHONE SERVICE PHONE RARE. Can someone explain to me why this phone was so popular on ebay? 47 bidders selling at $325. I have 3 phones that are similar along with all the extra stuff needed for the car.

FIRST PIC IS THE EBAY PHONE
Second and third are my phones.
Thanks
Maureen

Yours are probably even more valuable since they seem to be in at least near pristine condition as well as sporting the Bell System moniker! Also, I would not be surprised if your dad didn't stash away the radio unit that were associated with these control heads. If so, the price for a complete set-up could be considerable.

AE_Collector

I think that Maureen already showed us the radio's that go with these....didn't she? (in the BIG topic)

Might be a good place to start on ebaY after you have sold a couple of basic items to get the hang of it. And don't list all three at once. One at a time with a breather in between so you don't "saturate" the market!

Terry

Jerry P

They were always pretty rare even when in service due to the frequency limitations. Seems like a natural item for antique car collectors to want. The accessory no one else at the car show has.

MagicMo

Quote from: Jerry P on January 09, 2013, 07:06:50 PM
They were always pretty rare even when in service due to the frequency limitations. Seems like a natural item for antique car collectors to want. The accessory no one else at the car show has.

Thanks Jerry,
Great info! I never even thought of that. Makes perfect sense.
Take Care,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)