News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Completely New To Hobby... Feeling Completely Helpless with my Leich 901B

Started by Joel B, January 02, 2017, 03:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

I do have a true circuit diagram for the 901 telephone set, which I don't think I have posted on the Forum before.
But it seems the problem may be an incorrectly installed contact assembly shorting its winding at the wrong time.

Normally, at rest, the switch assembly should place a short across the generator winding.  As soon as the generator is operated the short is removed and its blue wire is instead connected to the switch contact with the white wire.

Did you re-install the three wires correctly?
White to 5
Yellow to 2
Blue to 13

The Leich magneto phones can be configured to ring locally or not when the magneto is operated.

Local ringing:
Ringer to 5 and 10.

Remote ringing only:
Ringer to 5 and 13.

BTW, the circuit of this phone is essentially identical to Leich's previous local battery magneto telephones, such as the No. 86C "Beehive", or the No. 70C with No. 26 generator box.  Physically it's different though, and the induction coil is new, arranged for use in a CB circuit as well.

TelePlay

Yes, prior topics were related to conversion from LB to CB and whatever. They were posted to provide the source of the schematic and for any information that may have been included in the old topics that might be helpful.

Very few topics on this site are perfectly matched to a current problem. Cherry picked saved, historical information does not include the purpose or intent of the old topics, converting the phone to a CB design.

We at least now have a schematic (left side) and the names of some other members who have worked on these magnetos.

Seems now the current question is about the crank mechanism breaking the contact allowing the crank to turn and generate power. Get that answered by Joel B. and then move on to the next problem, if one still exists.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Joel B on July 21, 2017, 12:21:42 PM
I'm not sure I understand your last question. "Are these contacts operating when the crank is turned?  They should operate merely when pressure is applied to turn the crank before it actually turns."

How am I able to tell if they are operating?
They are operating if applying rotational force to begin to turn the crank (with or without actually turning it) causes the end of the shaft to change position, probably to extend,
pushing the center contact (with the BL lead soldered to it),
away from the contact closest to the body (with the YL lead soldered to it),
causing it to touch the contact furthest from the body (with the WH lead soldered to it).

Joel B

Unbeldi- Yes, I have double checked all the wiring and 5,2,& 13 are correct.  This phone is wired for local (5 & 10).

Thanks for the info!  My binder (print & virtual) are filling up fast as you each share.
Thanks & God Bless,

Joel B

Joel B

Alex- Thanks for the clarification.

I tried to make this determination but there isn't much movement I notice in this or any other Leich magneto I have. Instead of trying to describe it, I shot a short video of what I'm seeing.  I can't post that here, but here's the link to the public video for viewing.  Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k3iulyds5aplxc/2017-07-21%2012.20.58.mp4?dl=0

P.S. I know the moderators have told me to make sure I don't use external links, so I apologize upfront that this is outside that recommendation, but to try not to irritate those trying to help me with too much back and forth I thought I'd try.

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel B

Joel B

After trying everything you all have provided, I started checking all of the connections for each wire for the 3rd time and decided to connect and disconnect each wire, blew out the areas with compressed air, etc... and as it would happen... it now cranks easy and chimes like it's new out of the box!!!

[INSERT BACKFLIPS HERE!]

While I'm frustrated that I still don't know exactly what was causing it, I'm excited to get back moving with this.  I know I'm going through exactly what many of you have as you took on your projects, but I'm very thankful that you have been willing to walk along side me in the troubleshooting process.

I plan to get the cover back on my phone and starting to work on getting my two good phones connected to test them further.  More progress to come!
Thanks & God Bless,

Joel B

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Joel B on July 21, 2017, 01:48:02 PM
After trying everything you all have provided, I started checking all of the connections for each wire for the 3rd time and decided to connect and disconnect each wire, blew out the areas with compressed air, etc... and as it would happen... it now cranks easy and chimes like it's new out of the box!!!

[INSERT BACKFLIPS HERE!]

While I'm frustrated that I still don't know exactly what was causing it, I'm excited to get back moving with this.  I know I'm going through exactly what many of you have as you took on your projects, but I'm very thankful that you have been willing to walk along side me in the troubleshooting process.

I plan to get the cover back on my phone and starting to work on getting my two good phones connected to test them further.  More progress to come!
You're welcome.

Yes, it would be good to know but if there was a metal chip shorting the generator we will probably never know the actual cause.  If it was something else the problem may return.

TelePlay

Quote from: Joel B on July 21, 2017, 01:25:12 PM
Alex- Thanks for the clarification.
I can't post that here, but here's the link to the public video for viewing.  Hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k3iulyds5aplxc/2017-07-21%2012.20.58.mp4?dl=0

An external link for this particular purpose is fine since it doesn't have much value other than showing your problem, which is now fixed. Great news.

You can attach a video to a reply if you first put the video in a zipped folder and then attach the zipped file. Systems check for malicious software when unzipping a folder to view the file.

It's those external links to images which usually for presentation and discussion that a highly frowned upon.

Anyway, glad it's working and it wasn't a major problem.

Joel B

And the news keeps getting better. 

After I got this one to work, I got a boost of energy to figure out the others.  Since unbeldi provided the info on local vs. remote ringing, I went back to my two phones that don't ring locally to make sure the wiring was correct.  I opened the case on the first one I had... and lo and behold it was wrong.  I connected them as directed and.... B-B-B-B-R-R-I-N-N-G!  Now I have 3 phones that seem to be functional!

I plan to tackle my 4th phone next.  More progress to come.

If I don't check back in, enjoy your weekend gang!
Thanks & God Bless,

Joel B

HarrySmith

I have been following this thread with interest. I have saved the diagrams, I had to start a new folder for Leich as I had no diagrams saved! I am disappointed we did not locate the issue but happy it is working! Congrats and good luck with the rest.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Joel B

Update to group:

After getting 3 phones operational, I tried tackling the 4th.  For some reason, I cannot get it to mimic the success I had with the other phones.  I'm wondering if there is an issue with the magneto, as it has always been tougher to turn than the others and I've checked connections, wiring, etc. to no avail.  I may try and replace the magneto of this one with one I have in a parts phone, but I will hold off for now.

I worked with my Leich phone "mentor" on connecting the phones up.  We went through the process of testing each of the phones with a battery source to see if we could get the receiver "live" and both passed!  The next step is to connect 2 of the phones together and test whether they will ring each other and allow talking between them.  I remain optimistic... but expect some more opportunities to learn along the way.  Updates to come.

Wondering if I could get some feedback on the best places to get replacement phone line and receiver cord, as well as bulk phone line I'll need to pull between the 3-4 phones I plan to connect.  I know there are outlets on eBay, but I'm finding pricing varies considerably and I have been burned a few times over the years there.  Any "direct" sources you veterans are using with good results?  Folks on here who sell these items that I can support?

In related news... because of the coaching and learning I've been getting here, I also decided to take the next step in the hobby... I have invested in a soldering iron and some others items to allow me to continue this burgeoning passion.  Thanks to all of you for your tips and advice.  I look forward to learning more.
Thanks & God Bless,

Joel B