News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a military WE 302? I think so...

Started by shortrackskater, May 31, 2017, 12:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

As I was hunting for the proper place to put this, I found a nearly identical phone already posted here.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14404.0

I bought mine recently on ebay for $5. It really looked like junk but I felt sorry for the thing! My case is plastic and looks like it was either stored outside or somewhere... a ship? Or maybe near a garden hose? The chassis is dated 1942 but the handset is 1952. The dial is weird too.
If anyone has any additional information I'd appreciate it. I'll put this in the "restoration" section soon since I do have some questions on that.

Mark J.

andre_janew

Have you tried resizing them?  Sometimes smaller is better.

HarrySmith

Another work around I have used t get pictures to load is to upload only 1 at a time.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shortrackskater

Yep to both questions. Even a 20kb thumbnail wouldn't load and I'm trying one at a time. This is incredibly frustrating. There's no rhyme or reason for this either. I've posted before using the same exact cameras... phone and a Canon. Both worked fine. Only one time I had to rename a picture and then for some bizarre reason, it worked.
I've renamed, resized, reconfigured, reEVERYTHING.
Mark J.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: shortrackskater on May 31, 2017, 07:01:28 PM
Yep to both questions. Even a 20kb thumbnail wouldn't load and I'm trying one at a time. This is incredibly frustrating. There's no rhyme or reason for this either. I've posted before using the same exact cameras... phone and a Canon. Both worked fine. Only one time I had to rename a picture and then for some bizarre reason, it worked.
I've renamed, resized, reconfigured, reEVERYTHING.
I'll just pass on this subject - I was excited to see if there was more info on the phone and was going to post restoration pics but let's just forget the whole thing. I can't spend hours piddling with images  - this should be simple.
I assume you're trying to upload JPGs.  I assume the files actually have the file name extension ".jpg".  The upload dialog says it will accept PNGs, TIFs and other formats.  Perhaps worth trying another format.  Should only take a few seconds to save an existing file in a different format.

Dan/Panther

The most common issue is photos are too large. Resize.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Working with shortrackskater by way of PM, I gave him this link to a topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18071.0

in the "How To Post Photos on CRPF" board. That topic includes a link to a site where he could download, for free, BatchPurifier LITE" to strip the meta data from images. After installing that program, he was able to strip the offending meta data and load the photos.

He ask me to delete everything after the first post above but rather than do that, I felt it was more important to keep the above discussion related to image uploading security errors ending with his success in getting around that error by using that software.

After downloading 5 so called "meta data stripping" software programs including "ExifTool," the only one that comes to  mind right now, I found that they take out some of the meta data, a small part, but leave 90% of the meta data intact, and as such, do not clear the code that raises the security error.

BatchPurifier LITE is THE ONLY currently available free software I know of that strips out 95% of the meta data clearing whatever raises the security error flag.

http://www.digitalconfidence.com/downloads.html

The only thing to be aware of is that if you use BatchPurifier LITE to strip meta data from a jpg image and it still gives a security error, then it is a string of code within the image causing the problem which can be fixed by simply resizing the image.

If the problem is the meta data, resizing won't do any good. If the meta data is deleted and it still does not load, the problem is in the image itself. And it is possible for both the meta data and the image to each cause the flag but BatchPurifier LITE is so easy to use, I do that first and then if necessary, resize the image.

Posting this here to once again make members experiencing the security error during image uploads aware of the problem and the solution.

The last PM I received from shortrackskater was "IT WORKED! Thank you! Can you delete everything past my first post #1?
I'll keep that program forever. "
That's great but the posts will stand to prove the utility of BatchPurifier LITE.

mentalstampede

Nice phone! Are there MFP stamps on the housing or any of the components?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

oldguy

It looks like an Automatic Electric dial to me.
Gary

TelePlay

Quote from: oldguy on June 01, 2017, 11:21:41 PM
It looks like an Automatic Electric dial to me.

It does but it was not made by AE. Jack Ryan identified the two manufacturers of these in this post

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14697.msg152535#msg152535

with the TA-45 C/GT being made by Nansai for the government. The Nansai dial has different markings embossed on the plate and the Nansai dial has an extra set of contacts.

This is the Telephonics dial (different embossing).

shortrackskater

The dial on this is marked RADIO ENGINEERING PRODUCTS.
I don't see any stamps on the housing or components – just dates. There was something written on the bottom of the phone but it's mostly worn off.
Mark J.

19and41

The Department Of Defense will usually issue a specification for a replacement part or assembly and whoever manufactured the original item used as the pattern will see it duplicated as closely as possible by the contractor continuing the production of the assembly.  That's how you see an item identified with a particular manufacturer with another companies' name.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

shortrackskater

I wonder if this phone was "new old stock" from 1942 (on the case) and then the upper part, dated 1952 (case, handset, transmitter, etc) was added and "militarized" later? Here's a shot of the handset.

UPDATE: It appears I have a WE 302-AW-3 or a TP 6A. (Found out later - I think ? I have a TP6A handset on a WE 302AW3)  I found some information on the internet and some of it referred back here. If anyone has the specific wiring diagram, let me know. I'll check tomorrow and poke around the 302 wiring section. I did see one for a two wire ringer which is what I have. I think that may be the one. :)
Mark J.

shortrackskater

I found a wiring diagram. But I have a few problems.
1. I can't tell what colors are on the hook switch. Can anyone tell me the position of each color in relation to the switch?
2. I'm unsure what I need to wire, or not, for my POTS line.
Help!
Mark J.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: shortrackskater on June 06, 2017, 08:49:18 PM
I found a wiring diagram. But I have a few problems.
1. I can't tell what colors are on the hook switch. Can anyone tell me the position of each color in relation to the switch?
2. I'm unsure what I need to wire, or not, for my POTS line.
Help!
I believe the diagram you posted actually shows the SH contact springs and connecting leads in their actual relative locations.  I'll look at a 302 I have open in my shop and correct this if it's not so.

It needs to be wired for bridged ringing.  If the phone is internally wired as shown (RD ringer lead on GND terminal) you can connect the RD and YL mounting cord leads to one side of the line and GN to the other.  Alternatively you can move the RD ringer lead to the L1 terminal of the INDuction coil and insulate and store the YL lead at the wall connection.  IMO it's easier to just bridge YL to RD at the wall.