News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cords for 302s

Started by HobieSport, October 21, 2008, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I have two 302s that need new handset cords and I'm wondering if there is any source for these cords.

One of the 302 cords is frayed and the other is coiled. 

So I'm looking for the simple strait black cords.  Historically, post fabric and pre coiled handset cords for 302s.

I'm not looking for original cords.  It's just that the 302s just don't look right and happy without the straight cords.

Any clues appreciated.   I have so few clues these days ;)

Thanks,  -Matt

Dennis Markham

Matt,

The source for cloth covered cords (reproduction cords) was until recently House of Telephones of San Angelo, Texas.  However just last month the owner Odis LeVrier sold his weaving machinery to Don Woodbury of Ontario, Canada.  Don is making the cords with the same machinery which I understand was actual Western Electric machinery from the day.  Don has Odis' stock and although he may not yet be producing cords he says he has plenty in stock.  Mr. Woodbury's business is called Oldphoneworks.  The web address is www.oldphoneworks.com

If you order cords before the end of October and mention "Odis Cords" in your order, shipping will be free.  I have ordered things from Oldphoneworks.  Because the product is coming from Canada it takes a little longer for the package to arrive.  I got my stuff in about a week.

Odis made cloth handset cords in black as well as other colors.  I have never seen 302's with black cords although I'm sure they were out there.  Usually you see brown cloth.  You want the "3 conductor" cord with spade tips on both ends.  The last ones I bought were $13 each.  They have cloth coiled cords that are $32 each.  The prices have remained the same as Odis' cords---for now.  Odis was the founder of the TCI (Telephone Collector's International) and has been in the phone business for many many years. 

You may see the cords you're looking for on their web site, but some have not yet been posted and you may have to call. 

Dennis

HobieSport

Thank you Dennis and it is an honor to hear from you.

In all due respect and appreciation I am not looking for cloth cords. 

I only assume you know that the original 302 cords are straight black plastic, pre-coil.

I'm guessing there are no replacements available.

The 302s just don't look right without them.

This is the quandary.

Sincere Thanks.

-Matt

Dennis Markham

Ahhh...you want straight black vinyl or rubber cords.  I guess I read into the word "frayed" and assumed you would be replacing a cloth cord with a cloth cord.  Let me do some looking and see if I have a replacement.  I might have one I can spare.  I'll contact you in a private message after I look through some stuff.

I might make an argument with the fact that original 302 cords were straight plastic cords.  I think cloth came first.  But as with everything from the Bell System they released stuff with whatever they had.  Probably some cloth and some rubber.  I think the first cords were actually rubber coated.  But again I could be wrong.  I'll have to ask around.

Dan/Panther

I just bought a 302, with a straight 3 conductor brown clothe covered handset cord. It appears original. It is kinked, but I'm now in thje process of straightening it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Matt, Oldphoneworks has straight rubber 302 handset cords on hand.  They're cheap, too.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/cord-handset-3-conductor-rubber-straight.html

I'm with Dennis on the originality of these cords for 302s.  All my straight rubber cords are from the late 1940s.  I've got examples of both types (thick and thin), and they're all post-war.  So I guess whether or not rubber would have been original to the phone is dependent on the date of the phone.  Anything from before the late 1940s seems to have had brown cloth. 

Dan, let me know how your straightening works out.  I've got two of the thicker rubber handset cords that have apparently spent a lot of time hanked in a circle, so while they're not kinked, they definitely have a "wave" to them that won't come out.

Also, I had no idea Odis LeVrier founded TCI.  Neat!
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

From my experience, the majority of the 302s I've seen have either brown cloth or curly cords(with big coils).  I don't think that I've encountered more than a handful with the straight plastic-covered cord.

I own three 302s, and a 5302. Two of my 302s, both from '52, have a coiled cord. My other 302, from '49, has a straight cloth cord. Only my 5302, which presumably had a refurb in '51(based on the date on the dial, the newest component in it, has a straight plastic cord. So, based on the data points of my telephones, the straight plastic cord couldn't have been in use more than three years or so.

With that said, however, I can understand your liking them. I personally prefer straight handset cords over curly ones. My favorite cord for a 302, however, is the straight cloth one.

BDM

For everyday use, I prefer the old style thick rubber coil cord. I have several I've saved over the years. I use them on 302s. D1 mounts get the straight cloth cord regardless. I never liked those straight line plastic/rubber cords. Those get the heav-ho ASAP when they show up on a bought set.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Thanks Everybody,

I'm only an appreciative newbie but it sounds like the 302s came with all kinds of cords.

I guess I'll go with the coiled cords because they are simply classic.

Next I'll be bothering you all about 302 dials...

Evil yet good natured laugh...

-Matt

BDM

Quote from: HobieSport on October 21, 2008, 06:11:04 PM
Thanks Everybody,

I'm only an appreciative newbie but it sounds like the 302s came with all kinds of cords.

I guess I'll go with the coiled cords because they are simply classic.

Next I'll be bothering you all about 302 dials...

Evil yet good natured laugh...

-Matt

I can tell ya that 90% came with #5 early & late dials. The later uses a plastic cam, and is quieter so to say. Very late sets came with #6A dials. Also some were replaced in the field with #6A dials. Last, #4 dials have been known on 302s. But very early versions. Very rare in my book, and hard to prove it's original. Mark is really the dial expert around here. He can comment further.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Quote from: BDM on October 21, 2008, 06:44:43 PM
I can tell ya that 90% came with #5 early & late dials. The later uses a plastic cam, and is quieter so to say. Very late sets came with #6A dials. Also some were replaced in the field with #6A dials. Last, #4 dials have been known on 302s. But very early versions. Very rare in my book, and hard to prove it's original. Mark is really the dial expert around here. He can comment further.

My set from 1-52 has a #5 dial(also dated 1-52), and my set from 9-52 has a #6 dial(dated 8-52). Given the nearly matching dates, I assume that both of these dials are original to the telephones.

Truthfully, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for the #5 to have been in use as late as '52. By that time, 500 series sets would have been in full swing, and the #6 dial is mechanically very similar to the 7A used on 500 sets for the first few years. Although I never have tried it, it wouldn't surprise me if the gear train were interchangeable between the #6 and #7A dial-they certainly look similar enough.

Dan/Panther

I haven't removed my dial yet, but it appears to say 5H. Other markings seem to point to the date, 5-51.
D/P

Dan/Panther

I've posted a picture of the cord from my 302, that I starigthened. It's in the post titled My 302 Arrived.
D/P

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 21, 2008, 03:44:21 PM
I might make an argument with the fact that original 302 cords were straight plastic cords.  I think cloth came first.  But as with everything from the Bell System they released stuff with whatever they had.  Probably some cloth and some rubber.  I think the first cords were actually rubber coated.  But again I could be wrong.  I'll have to ask around.

I'm sure you're right about the cloth cords coming first.  What I've always questioned is which was used most often.  It just seems to me that everyone goes for the cloth cords for that original look, but that more of the 302s left the factory with the plastic ones.  It just seems that when I find a 302 that hasn't been messed with in recent times it almost always has plastic cords.  Any thoughts on this?  Anyone have production numbers regarding cord type? 

HobieSport

I've got a simple solution personally;  If the phone looks like it hasn't been messed with and a cord needs replacing, I'll just replace it with whichever it came with; cloth, straight or coiled rubber.