and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tapping ringer

Started by Perry, October 29, 2008, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

I was reading through the PDF manual for the Kellogg 1000 Redbar here:
http://www.telephonearchive.com/kelloggtelephone/index.html

There is a procedure for adjusting the ringer to prevent "tapping." What does tapping mean, though?

The issue I am having is that the ringer on that phone rings a little bit when I am dialing (each time the dial returns). This sometimes even happens when I am dialing another phone. It seems oversensitive in general, and even rings when the phone is moved. Is that tapping? A Google search of tapping seems to mostly give results on wiretapping (not what I am after).

mienaichizu

that also happened to me before once, its like the ringer of the other phone clicks when you dial from another phone, sometimes when you hang up another phone, the ringer clicks to from another phone

benhutcherson

Bell tap is where the ringer taps one of the bells every time there is any kind of momentary spike in the line current. What this amounts to is that you will hear a ding every time that or another phone is taken off or put on the hook and with every pulse of a rotary dial(meaning that you should hear 10 separate dings for a 0). You will also, in my experience, hear a ding right before the phone rings, presumably due to a relay at the CO closing.

I have an old oak bell box which has a totally unbiased ringer, and does this really badly. I also have a 500 set that does this, although not as bad.

It does to me as though your telephone taps, although not nearly as badly as it could. Adjusting the setting specified in the manual should take care of it.

bingster

I don't know that I've ever seen a Kellogg ringer, but on Western Electric ringers there's an adjustment that can be made to prevent that.  On older ringers, there's a spring attached to a screw, and the screw is turned to increase the tension on the spring to prevent this.  On the newer ringers, there's a little rod, the tip of which is visible between the bells, that can be moved to different positions to increase tension. 

Check to see if your ringer contains one of these adjustments, and try a couple different settings to see if the problem stops.
= DARRIN =

Perry

Yes, there is a procedure for adjustment for the ringer tension in the PDF manual. I will give that a try. Thanks for the replies.

McHeath

I had a lot of ringer tap with my 354 when I first hooked it up, but it was wired all funny with it's party line stuff and then someone tinkered around to unhook the bell.  Funny thing was, I was unable to figure out how to rewire it as all the wiring diagrams online were different, so I just moved wires around and saw what would happen.  Eventually I got rid of the ringer tap by moving some wire that came from the hookswitch that in the distant past had been cut off and left to hang to the K terminal.  It works fine, I dunno why, it violates all the wiring diagrams and if I remove the wire then it taps all the time. 

Weirdness. 

BDM

What bingster said. I've repaired many in that manner.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

mienaichizu

Quote from: benhutcherson on October 29, 2008, 09:59:49 PM
Bell tap is where the ringer taps one of the bells every time there is any kind of momentary spike in the line current. What this amounts to is that you will hear a ding every time that or another phone is taken off or put on the hook and with every pulse of a rotary dial(meaning that you should hear 10 separate dings for a 0). You will also, in my experience, hear a ding right before the phone rings, presumably due to a relay at the CO closing.

I have an old oak bell box which has a totally unbiased ringer, and does this really badly. I also have a 500 set that does this, although not as bad.

It does to me as though your telephone taps, although not nearly as badly as it could. Adjusting the setting specified in the manual should take care of it.

hi ben, do you have that manual in PDF? can you post it?

Perry

I think he was referring to the manual I mentioned in my first post:
http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/kelloggtelephone/assets/booklets_handbooks_and_brochures/KG_1947_HDBK_PB_K1000.pdf

It is from the telephone archive Kellogg page:
http://www.telephonearchive.com/kelloggtelephone/index.html
(In the "Practices and Handbooks" section)