"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich 40 / 80 PABX Turret

Started by stub, December 27, 2010, 04:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Hi ,
    I am trying to get a wiring diagram for this PABX . This PABX has been hot wired to work on one switch . Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

I don't have any info on it for you but it is pretty cool looking! I'm sure with some time and patience you could trace it out, does'nt look too complicated :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

Harry,
          I may not live that long!!!!!!!!! It has some wires cut , the dial is disconnected from the PABX and hotwired to the 183 network to switch # 2. It will dial out and answer but I would like to make use of the rest of the PABX for some of the non- dial phones I have, if that is possible.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hi Ken (& Harry):

This is a turret for a Leich Electric model 40 or 80 automatic PABX so I am not certain how you are wanting to make it work for other phones. The equipment cabinet for this is about 4 feet wide, 5 feet tall and 16" deep.

This does very little on its own as every single switch contact and light gets wired off of the PABX cabinet with a 75 to 100 pair cable. There was a busy lamp field available as well that would sit up on the top of it but it doesn't look as though you have that piece?

The keysender portion (push buttons 1 - 0 ) was how the operator transferred calls within the PABX making it much quicker to put calls through than if she had to dial them. The dial was for dialling on the trunks to the CO if the operator were setting up a call for someone on a trunk but the stations were all capable of dialing outside themselves as long as they were equipped with dials.

Without studying your pictures too closely I'm guessing that someone has modifed it to be a single line phone at present? Has the network definitely been added to it as it may have been equiped with a network initially.

Is this the one that was recently on ebaY from "lincolntel"?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Thanks ,I don't think I'll be putting in the rest of this PABX , not enought room for the rest of equipment !!!!As is though, I can make a 14 line key set out of it. The network is original to this set. This one came from    jeff0080
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

In 1972 I went to work for a company in Gresham, OR, which was on GTE.  That is the same model "switchboard" console that the receptionist used at our office.  The General Tel guy that did all the maitenance called the actual PBX cabinet which was located out in the warehouse the "Leich Box", although he always pronounced Leich as "Leech", even though we know different.

Most of the phones in the office were AE 80's, but the General Manager and his secretary had 6-button AE keysets, because they wanted everyone to know they were special people.

It was a basic system with the ability to dial 9 for the outside line, flashing the hookswitch to transfer a call, and the ability to call another extension by dialing the extension number.  I think you could even do simple conference calls.
-Bill G

Adam

Quote from: stub1953 on December 27, 2010, 06:36:57 PM
As is though, I can make a 14 line key set out of it.

Without too much trouble, you could make a simple manual PBX out of this.  The top row of toggle switches could be wired to select an extension on each switch between either talking to the console (center position) or one of two trunks (up or down).  The numbered buttons could very easily be wired to an older-style touch-tone pad.  If you want signaling to and from the extensions, though, you'd have to add some simple relay logic.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

stub

masstel ,
             That's just a little over my head, not a switcher !  I really don't like to chop something up . I think I'll just clean off the gray paint and leave it as for now.    Thanks,   stub

Bill -  I'll keep you in mind , when I get tired of looking at this PABX .    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Stub:

What ever became of this project? Are you waiting for a rainy day still? It is possible that I might have some paperwork on these. Was cleaning up boxes of paperwork around here recently and I do have some Leich PABX paperwork.

Terry

G-Man

Stub-

I believe some pabx Leich documents were recently uploaded to the TCI list but I am not sure if they include your console. It seems as if there are a number TCI list members that are active switchers so you may be able to get more information from them.