"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work

Started by Mr. Bones, February 23, 2013, 07:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Good Evening, and happy Saturday!

I received an interesting, and informative book today, via an ePay seller...

I'm not too sure if much of anybody is interested in this publication, or not. ::)

Submitted, for your approval:

Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work.

A Training Course Text

Prepared for Employees of the

Long Lines Department

AMERICAN TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH COMPANY

November, 1938

(Reprinted with corrections January, 1941)

Let me know... perhaps I can photograph the contents, or scan them...

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 23, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
 I'm not too sure if much of anybody is interested in this publication, or not. ::)
Yes, it is a pretty good book, and fairly common, as versions of it were printed for many Telcos. I have a copy of it here, too.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

cihensley@aol.com

It was commonly called the "green brain" by telco people.

Chuck

Mr. Bones

Whew!

I'm glad it is fairly common, and well-known; it would have taken a deuced, double-toothpicks-lot of scanning to share... :D

On the bright side of things, it will help this old Electrician understand telephony better. ;)

Best regards, I'll be enjoying my newly-acquired 'Green Brain' ;D
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Quote from: paul-f on February 23, 2013, 10:52:48 PM
The 1953 edition is downloadable here:
  http://long-lines.net/sources/ATT_tech_books.html

Thanks, once again, Paul!

Not only are you a seemingly inexhaustible source of reference information, and wisdom, but you also just saved my bacon, re:, scanning hundreds of pages of vintage book!

I wish there was some way one could encapsulate the vintage book smell into a .doc, .pdf., etc. ;) Sigh. The olfactory factor adds quite a bit to the ambiance of enjoying vintage things, in my experience.

Maybe, it's because certain scents take me back to when life was good, and simple.... ;)

Thank you, Sir, for your input, and assistance! :)

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

MagicMo

Bacon? Did someone mention bacon? Yum ;D

Mr Bones,
What a lovely way of describing the scent of reading an old book. I had a " feeling" going through old letters and books but could not describe it in words. I never considered the link between the scent and the feeling. If I had to describe it now I would say it's a musty, sweetness that gives me a comfy feeling.

The smell of old books analysed by scientists:
Old books smell like grass, with a tang of acidity and a hint of vanilla, according to scientists who have discovered a way to tell the condition of an works by their odor.

People like the smell of an old book so much they made a perfume with the likeness called paper passion!! What the heck are they going to come up with next? Bottled water? Say what? LOL :D
Practice Kindness :)

Mr. Bones

There's a copy of 'The Green Brain" currently available on ePay, if anybody should happen to be interested. Ran across it today in my suggested items.
"Green Brain"
Best regards!

<edit:1953 Edition>
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

unbeldi

Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work
In 1922, the Long Lines Department of AT&T issued a series of training course notes bearing the title Elements of Electricity Applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work. It was more commonly known as Training Course No. 2. The course was used in the training activities of the department. Other units of the Bell System also issued their own materials on electric theory and telephone transmissions. With the growth of the network, and the increasing demand on the Long Lines Department, AT&T issued in October 1928 the first printing of a text book that was stocked and distributed by the Western Electric Company, entitled Principles of Electricity applied to Telephone and Telegraph Work.
Over the years, the book was revised and expanded to include current technology. As such it represents also a historical account of the technological developments involving telephony and telegraphy. The last revision was published in 1961.

The Long Lines Department also published a companion booklet containing the basics of mathematics (algebra, logarithms, trigonometry, and vectors). The copy I have is dated January 1930 and I haven't seen any other dates of these.

Publ.date Copyright Version Pages Chapters Appendices Tables Editors
1922-1927 series of training notes, loosely organized
1928-Oct 1928 1st printing 240 26 4 17
1929 1928 2nd Edition 240 26 4 17
1930-Jan Notes on the Mathematics of The Principles of Electricity 103 n/a
1930-Oct (c) 1930 Revised Edition 264 27 4 17 C.F. Myers, L.S. Crosby
1938-Nov (c) 1939  346 33 4 18 C.F. Myers, L.S. Crosby
1941-Jan (c) 1939 1938, Reprinted with Corrections January, 1941 346 33 4 18 C.F. Myers, L.S. Crosby
1953-Jan (c) 1953 354 35 0 13 C.F. Myers, L.S. Crosby
1961-Jun (c) 1961 365 33 0 13 C.F. Myers

The second edition (1929) is essentially identical to the first year version, with the exception that it uses the new unit decibel (db) instead of the Transmission Unit (TU).

These books were also distributed in Canada by Northern Electric. The Canadian versions carried a multiline explanation of the distribution on the front cover.