News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE, #40 Monophone How Many Years Produced ?

Started by Dan/Panther, October 05, 2008, 09:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

There is a guy on ebay selling a A.E. Monophone that he says is circa 1966, N.O.S. in the original box, yet it llooks exactly like my #40, 1935 issue.
Is he wrong or did I get taken.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

You're good.  According to this site...

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/Automatic%20Electric/Automatic%20Electric%20Telephones.htm

...the 40 was made from 1939 into the mid-1950s, when it was replaced by the AE80.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Thanks Bingster, so his phone is at least 1955 or so, not 1966.

D/P

HobieSport

Hey Dan,  Where did you find a date for your AE 40?  I can't find a date on mine unless it's in some kind of code, and Ben had had his all apart and didn't find any dates.  I started a thread on dating the AE 40s and would really like to know.

Also, just curious, what was the condition of yours when you first opened it up?  I just opened up mine for the first time and other than very very slight dust, it was pristine. I'm guess that base gasket has something to do with it.  They seem very well sealed as long as the bug screens are in place.  Or maybe mine just had a good life.  It doesn't look refurbished.  Just stayed clean over the years.

-Matt

Dan/Panther

Matt;
My guess is most old phones will be fairly clean inside, unless kept in very wet, or extremely dirty conditions.
The are much more protected than say a radio, or a television.
Most of my phones the outsides have been in Dire straits, but the insides were very nice.

D/P