News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dialgizmo is back in business!

Started by Matilo Telephones, March 12, 2014, 02:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

Just got a email today from Justin Vietz. Dialgizmo is back and resumed trading as of today.

For me that is very good news. I spend a lot of time installing internal convertor and troubleshooting them the last couple of months.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

Birdman115

Excellent!  I use them on all of my phones! 

Matilo Telephones

How many do you have, Birman115? You need only one per phoneline.
Groeten,

Arwin

Birdman115

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on May 02, 2014, 02:52:49 PM
I have well over 80 phones, but only four outlets.  I have a DialGizmo connected to each outlet. 

Matilo Telephones

You have them all connected? What does that sound like, when somebody rings you?

I received a shipment of 7 last week. I checked them and they all worked perfectly. Much better score than same time last year. 40-50% were duds.
Groeten,

Arwin

poplar1

Why do you need more than one DialGizmo if all four outlets are on the same telephone line? Instead, you can just place the Dialgizmo ahead of all the jacks--i.e. between the network interface/incoming line and your house wiring.

Quote from: Birdman115 on May 02, 2014, 03:05:16 PM
I have well over 80 phones, but only four outlets.  I have a DialGizmo connected to each outlet. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Birdman115

Quote from: poplar1 on May 02, 2014, 03:28:51 PM
Why do you need more than one DialGizmo if all four outlets are on the same telephone line? Instead, you can just place the Dialgizmo ahead of all the jacks--i.e. between the network interface/incoming line and your house wiring.

Quote from: Birdman115 on May 02, 2014, 03:05:16 PM
Probably because I'm "electronically challenged"

poplar1

I see that the manual doesn't help much:

http://www.dialgizmo.com/dialgizmo_manual.pdf

It shows plugging the dialgizmo into the "jack" and one rotary phone into the dialgizmo--which would imply that you needed a dialgizmo for every rotary phone.

What you could do is disconnect your house wiring which is now apparently going straight to the VOIP source. Then plug only one Dialgizmo into the VOIP, using the built-in cord on the dialgizmo,  and connect the house wiring to the jack on the dialgizmo, instead of one rotary phone.

However, the manual states that the dialgizmo passes only 2.0 REN--which may mean  only 2 standard ringers (high-impedance such as in 302s or 500s) or one low impedance ringer.

Has anyone  had any issues with multiple ringers when using only one Dialgizmo?

Birdman115

Quote from: poplar1 on May 02, 2014, 04:34:07 PM

It shows plugging the dialgizmo into the "jack" and one rotary phone into the dialgizmo--which would imply that you needed a dialgizmo for every rotary phone.

What you could do is disconnect your house wiring which is now apparently going straight to the VOIP source. Then plug only one Dialgizmo into the VOIP, using the built-in cord on the dialgizmo,  and connect the house wiring to the jack on the dialgizmo, instead of one rotary phone.

However, the manual states that the dialgizmo passes only 2.0 REN--which may mean  only 2 standard ringers (high-impedance such as in 302s or 500s) or one low impedance ringer.

There are times I have five ringers connected, some of which are VERY old, i.e. WE 534, WE 297.  I had an issue once, and disconnected just one of them, and it always works with four ringers.  I have Time-Warner cable telephone, with a telephone modem <60mA. 

Birdman115

Quote from: Birdman115 on May 02, 2014, 05:24:28 PM

There are times I have five ringers connected, some of which are VERY old, i.e. WE 534, WE 297.  I had an issue once, and disconnected just one of them, and it always works with four ringers.  I have Time-Warner cable telephone, with a telephone modem <60mA. 
Well, duh, I have a DialGizmo on four of the five phone outlets. 

poplar1

I'm just trying to understand the advantage--other than compactness--of spending $240 or more for four pulse-to-tone converters rather than $50 for one Panasonic 61610 KSU, which has no problem ringing 16 or more phones.

I wasn't aware of the 40%-50% defective rate for Dialgizmos. I ordered one for a customer for his grandmother's red 500, and that one has worked so far. I hate to think that I'd recommend something with this kind of failure rate.

In any case, if the Time-Warner unit will ring 4 old phones, then the Dialgizmos, regardless of number, will not increase the capacity, even if they apparently can limit to 2 the number of ringers that can be connected to one Dialgizmo. Is that correct?

Matilo Telephones

I have bought numerous Dialgizmo´s over the years. I sell about 50 restored phones per year and about half of the buyers need a dialgizmo.

Had no trouble with them untill last year. Suddenly there were duds. I bought about 20 and 8 were defective. Lots of hassle with sending them back, complaining and getting money back.

Then suddenly in august Dialgizmo ceased trading, apparantly because of quality problems. Suddenly march 12th everybody got an email they started trading again. I got 2 emails on different addresses and was warned about this by several onther contacts who got the same mail.

These 7 was my first shipment since trading resumed.
Groeten,

Arwin

Charles

Quote from: Birdman115 on May 02, 2014, 05:24:28 PM

The above method does not appear to work on ATT Uverse. When I connect the Dialgizmo at the VOIP box I get a slight buzz on the line. It will still work for touch tone but not rotary dial (pulse).

GusHerb

I just got a Dialgizmo and when I plug it Into the back of the EMTA it puts a hum on the line, if I plug just one rotary phone into it it's silent. Anyone know what that's about? Too many phones connected?
Jonathan