News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

JimH

The 302 was also featured very prominently on "All in the Family".  I remember in the later "I Love Lucy" shows she did have a black 500.
Jim H.

Bill Cahill

And, How do you think I feel about "Walton radio"?
I do not like the labels they've given stuff anymore.
Way over rated.
"Eames era", "Art deco", yuch.
Now, while I admit that some of the 50's styling is unique, and, I like it, I believe "Art deco" stuff actually died out after the 30's. Correct??
The stuff is unique, and, deserves a proper name, but, Art deco?
That is really a totally different style.
Alot of repro. phones being called original on evilbay.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

JimH

Quote from: HobieSport on November 24, 2008, 10:32:32 AM
I don't want to sound snobby but please don't call it a "Walton Radio" nor a "Lucy Phone".

It demeans the actual beauty
Geez....for it being the depression the Waltons lived in a pretty big house...had big meals, clean clothes, two or three cars, Daddy was workin' the family mill, they got to keep the farm, AND had a cool big radio to boot!
Jim H.

Bill Cahill

Quote from: HobieSport on November 24, 2008, 10:32:32 AM
I don't want to sound snobby but please don't call it a "Walton Radio" nor a "Lucy Phone".

It demeans the actual beauty

The only one I had, the twelve tube deluxe one, came to me before the Waltons were ever on. Now, that show has ruinned it for me. I can't afford to replace the one I had. The one on the show, by the way, they had one show where Ben had to replace a "burned out tube" in it.
They showed the back of the set. Yep. It WAS the 12 tube set.
How can a dirt poor family afford to buy a new, expensive radio??
It couldn't.
If anybody has one needing work that they want to trade, please contact me.
But, don't look for a Scott. I ain't got none!!

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill,

I wouldn't mind having one of these:

http://www.catalinradio.com/gallery/i-5420

Santa, are you paying attention to the forum???

Dennis

Bill Cahill

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle. Good luck. You only want the "Holy Grail" of Spartan radios. That's all....
You have as much chance of that as I do my Zenith 12 tube "Walton" set....
Unless, of course, you have Very, Very deep pockets.......
Nice blue  mirrored radios....
Thanks for the link,  Dennis....
Bill Cahill

Sargeguy

How about that hallmark of quality: "estate sale".  Why not just say "Yard Sale" or "Garage Sale" or "I know its junk but I am going to claim ignorance by saying I picked it up at an estate sale"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

When I see Estate Sale it makes me think the item is a bit better quality than a yard or garage sale item.  Often those Estate Sales occur after a death or when someone moves into a retirement home.  So I think of those items as things that were of a little more value or in better condition because they were in the home and used daily, or displayed (as in the case of antiques) in a livable environment rather than a damp garage or basement.  That's just my take when I see a nice product that claims to be from a fresh Estate Sale.

Bill Cahill

We have Westminister shores retirement neighborhood buying up houses accross the street. They are building Condos, condos, condos!!
They fairly regularly have "estate sales" offering goods. Quite frankly, most of the stuff offered is junk vcr's, modern telephones, trinkets, dishes, clothes, modern cardboard, and, sawdust furniture, and, the like. Once, in awhile I get to pick up lp's at a good price, but, other than a filing cabinet at the last one, not much else.....
An elderly lady is moving into one of their most expensive retirement houses right now. All she appears to have so far is moderrn veneered sawdust.
Why is it  retirees seem to get rid of the older furniture, calling it "old junk"?

Bill Cahill

HobieSport

Quote from: Bill Cahill

Why is it  retirees seem to get rid of the older furniture, calling it "old junk"?

A couple of decades back I heard that there was a big market in Japan for buying grandfather clocks for cheap.  They were being sold because they where "dated". What a funny term.  Of course they're dated.  That's the whole idea, isn't it?

Bill Cahill

Yeh. Go figure...  ??? My mother kept everything, but, in the attic. To her old stuff needed putting away. Put in all new cheap furniture. Keep with the times.
Yuch.....
Me, I'm way outdated, and, proud of it... ;D
I now use my dial phone in the kitchen far more than my cordless digital piece of crap.
Now, I need a hardwired push button phone, or, better yet, a beeper for my dial phones....
I need that to use while paying bills...
Bill Cahill

Sargeguy

Same thing here.  When I moved in to my house it was decorated with 1960's era "retro" furniture which looked completely out of place.  The attic was where all the good stuff was.  I little lemon oil and some reupholstering and good as new. 

The problem I have with estate sale is that it is overused.  Yo do not see items listed as garage sale or yard sale finds which I suspect many of the "estate sale" purchases are.  But it should not matter where an item came from.  It should be accurately described and photographed, disclosing any defects, and the seller should back it up with a money back guarantee.  The real problem is when the term is used by an unscrupulous seller so he can disavow any knowledge of the provenance of the item he is selling.  I have been burned by the "estate sale" clause when I bought a vintage black GI Joe "from an estate sale" that tuned out to be a modern reproduction.  The seller used the "I bought it an estate sale and can't be held responsible for the fact that it was a knock-off" excuse.  The toy was less than 1 year old and was a collector's piece.  It would have come with a book and retailed for about $75.  Yet somehow it managed to get all dirty and have the paint rub off all its rivets.  Coincidentally painted rivets are the best was to tell a repro from a fake, especially in photos.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HobieSport

Just to revive this thread, because it's so much fun to gripe about all these miss-used and over-used adjectives:

The next time I hear the word RETRO, I'm going to scream like a banshee, run into the woods, climb a tree, sit on a branch and rock back and forth on my haunches, speak in strange tongues and gibber like an idiot, and drool for a few minutes until the fire department kindly talks me down. ;)

However, I do like the terms "Googie" and "Atomic".  They calm me down because they are fun and un-pretentious. ;D

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Sargeguy

What's this new up-and-comer "Knoll" I have been seeing lately? 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409