News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ART DECO, GOD I'm beginning to really hate that phrase!

Started by BDM, October 03, 2008, 02:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Most over used selling phrases

NOS
Art-Deco
Vintage
Rare
old L@@K

HobieSport

I had to look up "Knoll".  It seems to have originated with some folks named Knoll, mid-century furniture designers and architects, and then became a loose term, much like "Eames".  On Ebay I found some descriptions that used mid-century, Knoll and Eames all in the same sentence. 

I guess folks are just putting as many key search words it the titles as possible.
What's sad is that the terms get thrown around so much that they loose their meaning.

Ya know, the term "Deco" is beginning to sound not all that bad. ;)

Perry

I did some research on eBay this morning. I searched for the following terms (title only):

Deco: 31,841 results
Retro: 56,912 results
Eames: 4,150 results (much less than I expected)
Rare: 333,488 results (lots of rare stuff out there  :))
L@@K: 46,864 results (Personally, I avoid auctions that say "L@@K!!!!")

Dan/Panther

One phrase I've always heard to avoid was, "Must see to appreciate"
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

D/P; "Must see to appreciate".  Okay, fine, send it to me for free and I'll L@@k at it and see if I appreciate it. ;D

That's some amusing research there, Perry.  Sometime I look for telephones with some real off-the-wall search terms such as "Old Telephone", or "Old Phone".  I also like how the 302 is often called an "F1". The fun never ceases. :)

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Ellen

I think this one IS Art Deco - that molded line around the base which serves no purpose and those chamfered corners make it so.  Also the feet following the same angle and sticking out a bit adds to the Deco-ness.

What I want is a Dada phone.  Or Art Nouveau.

BDM

Quote from: Ellen on March 10, 2009, 06:21:09 PM
I think this one IS Art Deco - that molded line around the base which serves no purpose and those chamfered corners make it so.  Also the feet following the same angle and sticking out a bit adds to the Deco-ness.

What I want is a Dada phone.  Or Art Nouveau.

I'll give it this, at the most it's a very very very watered down form of art deco, but it's far from what I know to be art deco.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Greg G.

"Antique" is another mis-used, misapplied, overused, watered-down phrase I see on a lot of for sale ads for everything.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

???

New words to me......
They WAY over  abuse "Art deco".
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

Everything's "rare" nowadays, even diamacron, it's almost as rare as glass!
- Tom

BDM

A new twist can be found in this craigslist post. Cracker Barrel look

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/clt/1054077989.html

( dead link 04-19-21 )
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

HobieSport

I would think a "cracker barrel" phone would be more like a candlestick phone, but to each their own, I reckon.  (As he plays checkers and spits into the spitoon and discusses the weather with the good ol' boys...)

benhutcherson

Every Cracker Barrel I've ever been in has had at least one wooden wall phone in it, so that's what I'd call a "Cracker Barrel" phone(if there is such a thing).

I've never seen any sort of desk telephone mounted to the wall, or any of the other places where they like to put old stuff.

Greg G.

Quote from: BDM on March 12, 2009, 12:00:14 AM
A new twist can be found in this craigslist post. Cracker Barrel look

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/clt/1054077989.html

When I think of "Cracker Barrel", I think of the restaraunt chain by that name.  Hmmm, now I'm hungry for chicken fried steak & eggs!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e