News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I won another 532

Started by Jester, August 29, 2010, 12:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

I liked the moss green one so much I took a shot at this black set from 10/55 & it paid off.  I'm hoping the conductors on the rubber spring handset cord are still supple, but everything else looks to be in good order.  http://tinyurl.com/29ayqu8

Stephen

KeithB

Congratulations  :D It appears you got a fair price for it, too!  After reading others' descriptions regarding baking/freezing handset cords, I'm certain you'll be able to improve the condition of that one.

Dennis Markham

It looks good, Stephen.  Maybe there's a "bonus" dial card under there.

paul-f

Great phone!

It's one of my favorite variations, as it filled an important niche in the market and was obsoleted by the G6 handset in 1961. (More info in the July 2009 TCI Singing Wires.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jester

Paul,
Thanks for refreshing my memory on the G6 & when it was introduced.  It's amazing how quickly technology changed in this area.  I'm sure the amplified handset was much cheaper to manufacture than the special base with the amp. & rheostatic switch.  Does anyone know if Bell Systems passed that savings on to customers who asked for the G6?
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Jester:

Congratulations on the 532! Still waiting for Dennis to finish his 332 so we can all have a '32s conversation. Mine is exactly one year later: 10/56.
Jorge

paul-f

Quote from: Jester on August 29, 2010, 03:29:07 PM
Paul,
Thanks for refreshing my memory on the G6 & when it was introduced.  It's amazing how quickly technology changed in this area.  I'm sure the amplified handset was much cheaper to manufacture than the special base with the amp. & rheostatic switch.  Does anyone know if Bell Systems passed that savings on to customers who asked for the G6?

Interesting angle.  I may have some old price sheets here somewhere.  I'll add that to my list of things to hunt for (some day).

It also reminded me that the real saving was being able to convert any set variation that used G-series handsets to amplified use.  The Singing Wires article I referenced included info on a 558 set that had a "standard modification" to include the 151B amplifier and control.  (Apparently demand wasn't large enough to warrant a seperate model number, manufacturing processes, inventory control, etc.) 
   http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#558

I have since found a 565 set that had a similar modification.  Neither could have been cheap.  It was so much easier to just swap out the handset, without having to mount and test other internal components.

With the G6, amplification came easily to all 500s, Princess sts, Panel sets, card dialers, Call Directors, etc.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line