"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

MD622

Started by sebbel, February 24, 2012, 05:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

Hi,
Has anyone hear or seen a dial candlestick marked MD622?  The receiver cup is marked Northern Electric and has a bulldog receiver. I opened it and was surprised to see a round paper diagram in the base. I had never seen one of those. I,m interested since I don't have a candle stick with a bull dog receiver.
Seb.

Russ Kirk

Ran across this question on the another forum a few days back.  NE had some parts marked with a MDxxx number to designate Military Distribution.  

The MD series was for Military Distribution. They are the same as civilian phones but with antifungal treatment of the cloth covered wires inside...

Does this look like it may be the case?

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

sebbel

Seems like a very plausible explanation more so considering the Military background of Halifax were I work. The wires looked normal. In good condition and very flexible for their age.

Do military issue have any special value that I should be aware or when negotiating a price? I suppose that all depends on who is buying.
Seb.

Russ Kirk

I only speak for myself, if the military vs. consumer products are closely the same,  I would not put greater value on military.  

Condition is everything.

But......many times military items are better condition because they have been stored for reuse.  So the likelyhood of a military items being in better shape that consumer is higher.  

Now,  if I had a military item and a same consumer item,  say a 302, it would be cool to show them side by side.

At least that's my opinion.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

G-Man

Quote from: sebbel on February 24, 2012, 05:16:48 PM
Hi,
Has anyone hear or seen a dial candlestick marked MD622?  The receiver cup is marked Northern Electric and has a bulldog receiver. I opened it and was surprised to see a round paper diagram in the base. I had never seen one of those. I,m interested since I don't have a candle stick with a bull dog receiver.

Here is the thread for the TCI Listserve as answered by our own Dave Hunter:

--- In singingwires@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hunter" <dhunter@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Rejean:
>
> The MD series was for Military Distribution. They are the
> same as civilian phones but with antifungal treatment of
> the cloth covered wires inside...
>
> I have several here, and each of them has a civilian
> counterpart.
>
> Dave
>
> On 19 Feb 2012 at 7:31, Rejean Gosselin wrote:
>
> > Steve,
> > 
> > Why this phone is stamped MD877 instead of N293CG?
> > 
> > I own a N293CG that is identical except for the transmitter
> > (a 323 instead of a bulldog).   I also saw another MDxxx
> > similar phone somewhere else a few days ago.   Does the MD
> > series very different from the N293 series?   Thanks! 
> > Rejean
> > 
> > ________________________________
> >  From: Steve Cichorsky <steve@...>
> > To: 1aTCI POST <singingwires@yahoogroups.com>
> > Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:49:20 AM
> > Subject: [TCI] NECo Dial and Instrument on ePlace

> > NECo Dial and Instrument
> > on ePlace
> >
> > Item number:
> >  * 370587559045
> > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unusual-1927-Northern-Electric-Crank
> > -Wall-Telephone-Phone-Dial-Mouth-Ear-Piece-/370587559045?pt=
> > LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5648bd6485           
> > 
> The Telephone on Prince Edward Island:
> http://www.islandregister.com/phones/phones.html
>
> The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
> http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
> Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
>

DavePEI

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 24, 2012, 05:29:16 PM
Ran across this question on the another forum a few days back.  NE had some parts marked with a MDxxx number to designate Military Distribution.  

The MD series was for Military Distribution. They are the same as civilian phones but with antifungal treatment of the cloth covered wires inside...

Does this look like it may be the case?

Russ....

Actually after I answered the question on Singing Wires, we got another explanation. MD actually stands for Manufacture Deviation which still applies for items manufactured for the military.

It covered all sets manufactured with deviations from normal, which includes modifications, modification kits, Military made items, etc.

While both are unconfirmed, the latter appears to be more correct, as a number of non-military items have also been found with the MD number.

So, just a bit of an update!

I had been told it stood for Military by a retired VP of Island Tel, however, someone else was told it stood for Manufacture Deviation by a retired NE employee. We can't check with them, as they have both since passed away.

One, no doubt is correct, but I would now tend to go for Manufacture Deviation, as I have in my possession aside from the MD military phones, several MD numbered civilian sets, and a MD modification kit for 1315 wall phones.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

Wow,  such great information.  I agree, I now tend to think the Manufacture Deviation is the answer. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI