News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted: Plugs for Teletrainer

Started by DavePEI, August 19, 2014, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

For my NE QKC1B Teletrainer, I require two of the following plugs, similar in size to the old 4 pin plugs, only they are 8 pin. One pin is larger than the rest for indexing the plug but contains no conductor.

I also need a power cable for it - the socket the cable plugs into is just a wee bit too small to plug a normal 3 pin grounded socket from an extension cord into. There are ways I can get around this, but if I can find the correct cable for it, it would be better...

Thanks,

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Dave, I could take that teletrainer off of your hands so you will no longer need plugs. :)

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 19, 2014, 02:25:58 PM
Dave, I could take that teletrainer off of your hands so you will no longer need plugs. :)

Ben
Ha! Not a chance, Ben! It has taken me a long time to find a Teletrainer, and then to luck across one made for NE!  :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

jsowers

Look in your local mom and pop hardware store for replacement extension cord ends that would fit the inside diameter of that power socket and just make your own power cable. I think you might have some luck there. You could also check thrift stores for older extension cords. It's also possible you could take an orange or yellow extension cord and shave the plastic edge down a little with a grinder and make it fit.

I have no idea about those 8-pin plugs. Definitely something non-standard there. I can't imagine why they would need such a thing. The WE Teletrainers just use three wires. Do you think NE wired the ringers separately or something? Judging by the pin size and location, a 283B wouldn't even fit. All the pins are small and in a straight line. Good luck finding those plugs.
Jonathan

WesternElectricBen

I agree with Jonathan, it wouldn't be hard to file down a stranded cord, or just use and old one.

I cannot remember when, but I know Singing wires had a topic about those plugs. Maybe they mentioned somebody who might have some, or reproduces them?

Ben

unbeldi

The 8-position plug is certainly a standard one, albeit hard to find, indeed.
These were used for key system sets and that's why it is needed here. Going by the ad picture, this teletrainer worked with key telephones.

A Western or Northern Electric power cord for the key system power units should fit perfectly. They use the same power receptacle.

DavePEI

Quote from: jsowers on August 19, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
I have no idea about those 8-pin plugs. Definitely something non-standard there. I can't imagine why they would need such a thing. The WE Teletrainers just use three wires. Do you think NE wired the ringers separately or something? Judging by the pin size and location, a 283B wouldn't even fit. All the pins are small and in a straight line. Good luck finding those plugs.
Unlike the standard US Teletrainers, the QKCIB used two phones, one a standard 500 - the other a 6 button key set. I suspect that is the reason that it required more pins to accomodate the key set...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

jsowers

Thanks for the additional information. I've never seen anything like this animal. It makes perfect sense because in those days training for keysets was also necessary. You have to wonder why they didn't use Amphenol plugs on the end like most keysets had, except the earliest models. It could be because they disconnected too easily without a clamp to hold them down.

The literature describing the operation of it even specifies that both phones came in moss green with 25' cords.
Jonathan

poplar1

391 A jack (flush mounted) or 392 A jack (surface mounted) requires a 274A plug, which has 8 contacts + a "guide finger."

Originally, they were

For use principally with portable hand tele-
                           phone sets at 750A P.B.X. stations requiring
                           eight-conductor cords. They may also be used
                           where a seven-conductor portable cord is re-
                           quired at 750A P.B.X. stations not associated
                           with control cabinet, and where five or six con-
                           ductor portable cords are required.

Source: Bell System Practices, Section C36.201, Issue 1, 2-1-32
Jacks and Plugs, Types for Inside Locations, Description and Use

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/4597-c36-201-i1-feb32-jacks-plugs-inside-loc

in TCI library.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: jsowers on August 19, 2014, 04:43:17 PM
Thanks for the additional information. I've never seen anything like this animal. It makes perfect sense because in those days training for keysets was also necessary. You have to wonder why they didn't use Amphenol plugs on the end like most keysets had, except the earliest models. It could be because they disconnected too easily without a clamp to hold them down.

The literature describing the operation of it even specifies that both phones came in moss green with 25' cords.

I don't think the 25-pair D-shape type ("Amphenol", "Cinch" ?) connector existed until the early 1960s. WECo didn't start using them until perhaps .... hmm...  64?   I think I have two 1958 or so keysets that may have been refurbished around 1964 and at least one of the D34B cords is from III 64, I don't have a record for the other.

When you look at Dave's  ad of the unit, you can actually make out the multi-pronged plug at the end of the cord of the keyset.

PS:  The 274A plug is still in BSP 461-630-105 Issue 1, February 1967 and not MD.

PS: I found a BSP of 1961 that shows the 25-pair male D-connector as a KS-16689, L1 Plug as used on a D50C mounting cord. (C38.595.06 Issue 1, June 1961, Telephone Sets 568-Types)

Sargeguy

Ben, I have a fixer upper Teletrainer, contact me if interested.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Thanks, guys for the information and for the part number. Despite this, they may well be made of unobtanium, atomic no. 119, UO, the rarest post-transition metal in the universe. Hopefully a couple will show up!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

If memory serves, one did show up on eBay about 2 years ago and I think it sold for $50-75
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409