News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally figured out the correct fonts.

Started by persido, April 15, 2015, 02:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Teleplay/John posted a picture of a dial card he found on a 1956 500 set (BEverly 5-0494), the card is awesome, it really inspired me to finally figured out the exact fonts the phone company used back in the day.  I hope John dose not mind I used his picture to show my finds against the original, what do you guys think? is it spot on?

Scot

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, that looks great!!

What program did you use? What fonts?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

persido

Thanks Christian, I use MS paint or a free program called Fotor, I prefer Fotor because there are so many more options on color, spacing of letters.

Scot

savageje

Nice discovery. Were these fonts standard Windows fonts, or did you have to buy or download them?

compubit

Copperplate is one of the "Old Standard" fonts from typesetters.  It's been released by a number of font foundries - but I'm sure there's a cheap knockoff available online (I have the original Adobe PostScript font from back in the early 90s).

I recognized the numbers from early number stamps - usually metal with a self-inking pad - but haven't seen the corresponding computer-based font

The "small letters" could be any number of "small caps" fonts, but think you've found a good selection.  I've also seen number cards with the small text in small Copperplate.

For the 60s-70s numbers, Trade Gothic (or slight variation) was used for prefix numbers (as well as the infamous 555-2368. For area codes, I've seen several fonts used, but recall Futura being used when I was in Houston during the 70s (pre area code splits).

As for numbers, when it comes to stamps of computer generated, not sure of the font(s) used.

I plan on scanning in all of the number cards I've collected in the past to create a "Numbers" font from the outlines.

Glad to see someone has figured out a font to use for early numbers.
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Quote from: persido on April 15, 2015, 02:11:07 PM
I hope John dose not mind I used his picture to show my finds against the original, what do you guys think? is it spot on?

No, not at all.

Mr. Bones

Nicely done!

I have always used Copperplate for the older style cards, I have a few others that I use to replicate the 'stamped' numbers. (Also some to replicate 'typed' numbers.)

Due to the failure of 9 capacitors on my daily driver GX280 tower, I am temporarily unable to access exactly which fonts, but will return to post here, with examples, before very long.

I am able to limp along on this GX270, for now, have a backup that I need to place new vid card in, and two new arrivals to phase into. Work(s) in progress.

Computers can kind of be like phones, in that way... ;)

Thanks, and best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

jsowers

Quote from: savageje on April 15, 2015, 05:37:03 PM
Nice discovery. Were these fonts standard Windows fonts, or did you have to buy or download them?

I had Copperplate Gothic Bold already on my oldie goldie XP laptop, from where I don't know. I've never put an extra font on it until now. I was able to find both Crash Numbering Serif and LL Charlotte online as a free download just by Googling the names. They came as TrueType fonts. I sent them to a friend who has a Mac and he was also able to use them too. I dragged the two new fonts to my Fonts folder inside the Windows folder, in case anyone is interested.

Thanks, Scot, for the research into this. I've always wondered if there was a font like a serif stamper, as I call it. I'm lucky to have an original stamper like that, but the rubber is so brittle that it won't work any more.
Jonathan