"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 Line Desktop, won't break dial.....

Started by John S, February 10, 2013, 10:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Morning!

Wondering if anyone could help me out.  I have a 2 line touch tone desktop phone, when I push the buttons to make a call, all you hear is the dial tone.  Its like I am not pushing any buttons.  I tried flipping the red and green wires, then I get the familiar sound of not breaking dial.  The phone rings and you can hear the other person.  I just can not make a call on it.  Again, when I push the buttons, just a dial tone.......Any suggestions.....

John

poplar1

Do you hear either two tones or one tone when you push any of the buttons?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

John S

I hear two tones.  I hear the regular dial tone when you pick up the phone and the tone when you hit the buttons.  But the dial tone does not go through.....

poplar1

Hit the hangup button briefly one time. This removes the dial tone. Now, when you push the buttons on the dial, do you hear one tone or two for each button pressed?

If you hear two, then the dial may need adjusting.

If you hear one, then the contacts may need cleaning with a business card.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

John S

I will try it and see what happens.  I will report back.  Thanks guys for your help....All those wires inside the phone make me nervous......Lets see what happens....

John

John S

Morning!

I did the test your recommended.  After hitting the hang up briefly, dial tone went dead.  When I pushed he buttons, they sound regular.  I dial my cell...all I got was the operator saying the call can not be completed.  I did that about 3-4 times and the same thing.  I will clean it, get some of the dust off and report back...

John