"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: FABphones on June 08, 2021, 04:03:46 AM
Why throw paint over one phone when you can throw it over four.
Then turn them into lamps.
:o

I may of bought these phones after the paint job, but before the conversion. Some folks don't know when to stop 'improving" things.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I have to say, I knew an old phone guy who appreciated old phones.
He had a old stick phone turned into a lamp by telephone pioneers, but it was done in such away that it could be changed back by un soldering the shade nipple from the top on the stick, and remove the lamp cord.
Every thing else was left in the phone, they added a switch to the shaft so the light would turn on the light when the receiver was taken off hook.

That's the one thing he was very happy about in that conversion.
He received it as an award for service I believe, it's been thirty years since, so my memory is not that sharp.
I would have loved to had that after he passed, but his son who also worked for the company got it.

So I have to wonder are these "creations" able to be returned for the most part back to the original phone.

I'd say frankly I doubt it, because they may find those parts are in the way.
KEN

FABphones

Here is another 'upcycle'. A French Violin Telephone dating from the early 1900's.
Lampshade not quite so old...
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

Lamps like that have all the practicality of lighting one's cigar with a $100 bill.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

MADhouseTelephone

I'll just put this here:
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

MMikeJBenN27

The height of stupidity.  There are plenty of classic lamps around.  Why do they love to destroy classic phones?

Mike

Key2871

Ahhh! A chrome payphone!!??
The odasity, who in the world would want a chrome AE table lamp in their living room...
KEN

MMikeJBenN27

An oddball, probably a yuppie who doesn't appreciate anything that isn't new and Japanese.

Mike

Key2871

KEN

FABphones

Beautiful phone. Really ugly lamp phone.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

It'd be interesting to see the other items destroyed by these "craftsmen and women".  Such talent can;t be wasted on just telephones.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

MMikeJBenN27

When ever I see that blue 302, I want to do something violent.

TelePlay

Nothing lost here, it's an ITT phone. Housing looks painted. A bit pricey and ringer (maybe more of the internals) have been removed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294928819605

SUnset2

I saw this sell today on Ebay as a buy-it-now. 
Federal split shaft, converted into lamp.  It looks like the receiver and swichhook were removed, along with the innards of the transmitter.
A scarce early candlestick converted into a scarce early lamp.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204042796262

RDPipes

Just makes ya wanna scream don't it? We'll at least there isn't a set of them.........that we know about.