News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045A or B?

Started by kuschi, April 20, 2017, 07:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuschi

I am looking for a Line Telephone Tester, especially to check dials. I have been reading a lot of positive feedback for the BK Precision 1045 model. However, there are two models, BK Precision 1045A and BK Precision 1045B. What is the difference and does it actually matter if I just want to run simple test on my phones respectively dials?

Thanks,
Martin

Jim Stettler

I have both. I think the difference is only cosmetic.  I had a note with a 1045A that stated after a certain serial # the units would provide dial light power. The unit with the note was an earlier Serial #, but it did have dial light provision. I think their may be a third version as well.

There is also a BK1050 which does everything the 1045's do plus cordless and  a little more accurate test. These are larger and heavier than a 1045.
I would go with a 1045 A or B. Whichever is cheaper.

Here is a link for the B manual. I have never read a manual for these testers.

B Manual https://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/manuals/en-us/1045B_manual.pdf

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

The 1045B Manual listed above indicates the following detection for rotary dials:

Rate: Between 8 and 20 pulses per second

Break Time: 30 milliseconds minimum

Interdigit time: 315 milliseconds minimum

In other words, this will "pass" many dials that won't necessarily meet the requirements of some decoding equipment.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

Quote from: poplar1 on April 20, 2017, 12:50:30 PM
The 1045B Manual listed above indicates the following detection for rotary dials:

Rate: Between 8 and 20 pulses per second

Break Time: 30 milliseconds minimum

Interdigit time: 315 milliseconds minimum

In other words, this will "pass" many dials that won't necessarily meet the requirements of some decoding equipment.

Thank you for saying just that, I believe i have the feeling of wanting a gadget like this, but I have no need for a that rough dial test, I would like to have a unit telling me detailed about REN load, (difficult to measure accurate) exact data about make break ratio, dial speed, and to see if one pulse is considerably different from the others.  E.g. the dial i struggled with, because I knew nothing about a dial having the last pulse 3 times longer than the others. 

dsk

oldguy

I have a 1045A. It works fine for me & the 1045B manual seems to apply to the A to me. There are 2  1045As on eBay now for $60 each.
Gary

kuschi

Quote from: dsk on April 20, 2017, 02:01:58 PM
Thank you for saying just that, I believe i have the feeling of wanting a gadget like this, but I have no need for a that rough dial test, I would like to have a unit telling me detailed about REN load, (difficult to measure accurate) exact data about make break ratio, dial speed, and to see if one pulse is considerably different from the others.  E.g. the dial i struggled with, because I knew nothing about a dial having the last pulse 3 times longer than the others. 

dsk
What other (affordable) testing equipment is out there that could do the job? Normally, if I have a complicated case for a dial I send it to Steve Hilsz.

dsk

Steve is the EXPERT! no doubt.
The shipping costs to and from Norway, has motivated me to fix it myselves. (so far) I have struggeled a lot. but  using audacity ++ ending up with this manual for measuring.  After using this, I may determin what to do.
If the dial gizmo understands my dials, it is usually OK for me so that is the simple go or not go test as good as the BK tester. 

dsk

kuschi

Quote from: dsk on April 21, 2017, 03:48:28 AM
Steve is the EXPERT! no doubt.
The shipping costs to and from Norway, has motivated me to fix it myselves. (so far) I have struggeled a lot. but  using audacity ++ ending up with this manual for measuring.  After using this, I may determin what to do.
If the dial gizmo understands my dials, it is usually OK for me so that is the simple go or not go test as good as the BK tester. 

dsk
Same for me. We moved six years ago to Switzerland. I normally use vacation or business visits back to America to ship dials to Steve but I want to be able to handle simple cases by myself.

Very need tool you have. It does not look too difficult. I will give it a try too!

Martin

dsk

I have solved it for all my phones so far, spares may be a challenge, and i have had to make parts my selves. I'm not MacGyver so sometimes I need something more than paper clips, but  what man has made, man can fix!

One day some years ago I got a parcel. I was a telephone, and some spares.  It was from a fellow member who did have problems with a high value phone, and he wanted me to solve the problem, and keep the rest of the spares.  I did so, and sent it back to him, and he sent me an old phone for the job (I did not as for it).

This was a touching feeling of trust, and a recognition of knowledge and skills.

dsk

Pourme

I didn't have a copy of the manual...Thanks JimS!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service