and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RARE 1955 ? SWIRLED Color WESTERN ELECTRIC Bell System TELEPHONE Red White Pink

Started by Doug Rose, June 17, 2017, 07:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on July 19, 2017, 12:55:17 AM
Regarding "official" WE swirled telephones:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read an article where Bell labs added  some white  granules to a  clear "charge"  of plastic to create a swirled 302 housing. The purpose was to study flow patterns.l There was a b/w photo as well.  I think it was in the bell system technical journal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's interesting and makes sense from a QC point of view,.

I've looked at this black circled anomaly in the swirl pattern many time wondering how that happened.

Could the bottom front edge of the mold be an air vent so hot plastic flowed in from the rear moved around both sides of the injection mold and met at the "air vent" to create that straight line?

Jim Stettler

My avatar phone has a similar line.
I posted all the photos I have of it and 1 of my WE Princess.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JimHyak

Thanks for posting the photos Jim, always nice to see.
My green swirl 500 is still AWOL, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I have a few bootleg slenderets and a pile of legit ones which I plan to sell.
BTW Jim, I have the clear SC1198. Unfortunately it has no dial or base plate or transmitter capsule for a reason- shrinkage. I think a previous owner removed the parts to stop the phone from cracking. The bottom is also warped a bit. It took a lot of effort to get the handset apart, but it is generally Ok. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it, feel free to PM me about it.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.