News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why are the Phone Cords Sticky?

Started by helia, July 19, 2013, 01:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helia

I'm cleaning up a 302 and it's going pretty well.  I cleaned the coiled cord in dishwashing soap and water (incidentally, dishwashing liquid is also excellent for pre-treating most food stains on your clothes).  So now, it's clean but it's sticky.  Why?  And is there anything I can do to make it less sticky?

WesternElectricBen

Have you tried dropping it in a cup of goo gone?

Ben

helia

I don't think it's sticky from adhesive which is what I usually use Goo Gone on.  The transmitter is from 1947 and the receiver is from 1949 so I wonder if the cord is sticky because it's old.  I'm not sure if it's vinyl or rubber either.

ESalter

Usually rubber cords dry out and crack.  Vinyl cords ooze out plasticizers like that as they age.  If it's not too bad, try soaking it in a product called Nu Vinyl.  It comes in a spray bottle, I usually just spray some in a zip-lock bag then throw the cord in and then let it sit for a couple days.  That usually helps.

---Eric

helia

That was helpful!  So I have a vinyl cord that's oozing...  gross.  I'll try out the Nu Vinyl.  Thanks Eric!

Ted

Back in the late '60s and early '70s, a major radio equipment manufacturer (which shall remain nameless, though it started with "M" and ended with "otorola") housed its fixed equipment in plastic-clad sheet metal.  Like your cords, the cabinets eventually developed a gooey surface.  A service bulletin disclosed that the problem was "migrating plasticizer."  You can Google it if you're curious as to what it is, but it's pretty common with aging flexible plastic. 

The recommended solution was merely to clean it with Fantastik brand household degreaser/cleaner.  I checked and it's still on the market, though I have no idea if it's the same formula as was used in the late '70s when the bulletin was released.

http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/brands/cleaning/fantastik.aspx

Probably worth a shot, though.  If they've changed the formula and it doesn't work, another degreaser probably will.  I did use the procedure with Fantastik back in the day and it worked fine.

Matilo Telephones

I just spray the sticky ones with shoe wax (silicon free). And gone is the stickyness. We have plenty. The wife keeps it under the sink.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Kenton K

To get rid of any stickiness, I recommend simple kitchen grease remover. Some solvents like goof-off can be a little strong and soften the plastic.

Ken