News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

and the winning bid is.....$338.00!

Started by Babybearjs, February 22, 2016, 09:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

talk about crazy! a simple ringer and the collectors went crazy! so....who's the fool that spent this for that!
John

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Seller description:  " YOU ARE BIDDING ON AN UNUSUAL WESTERN ELECTRIC 531A RINGER SUBSET. THERE IS ANOTHER NUMBER J-99237D . I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE THESE BEFORE. THE TUBES LOOK TO BE NEON . THE RINGER WORKS. THERE IS NO CRACKS OR CHIPS.THERE IS A DATE 3/1954"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNUSUAL-VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-TELEPHONE-RINGER-SUBSET-/131728020879

unbeldi

I don't think this is an ordinary ringer and I can see where some people would fight over it.

I think it is part of a central office alarm system, yes it is a ringer, but it has illumination of four conditions.  Those are neon lamps that light up for their respective condition and ring the bell.

HarrySmith

Yes, it is unusual, I have never seen one like it. Someone must know more than we do to pay that price!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

There is a similar model for Civil Defense
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on February 22, 2016, 10:31:52 PM
There is a similar model for Civil Defense

That was one of my thoughts too.   Does anyone have BSP 801-606-150 ?
It should be the BSP for the J-99237 series of specs.

Babybearjs

this was originally a CD subset.... (C15.930) I did some reading and started to wonder.... what ever happened to all this platform? in todays world... civil defense is still strong, but our warning system seems to be gone....I remember as a kid doing Air raid drills in school..... what would happen if a war were to come to the US.... would we be ready.... or would we be caught with our pants down? do we even have air raid shelters anymore????  how many people still remember this system....
John

paul-f

Search for Civil Defense in the TCI Library and you'll get lots of reading material. (A Google site search works best. Use the one in the drop down menu under "Search.")

Here's a good starter - BSP 981-281-100:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_view/9959-981-281-100-i1-civil-defense-warning-system-cdws-bell-and-lights-system-general-description
          --  ( Reported bad/dead link, Jan 28, 2019, equivalent good link below )

bsps-bell-system/bsp-categories-by-later-division-number-by-doc/660-984-vehicles-supplies-gen-l/981-division-equip-on-customers-premises/9959-981-281-100-i1-civil-defense-warning-system-cdws-bell-and-lights-system-general-description

These are quite collectible and hard to find in good condition.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

Yeh, I was reading this BSP last night... interesting stuff. wonder what the system looks like today.....
John

Dan/Panther

I might not be reading this correctly. but how did the bidding go from $30.98 to $333.33, with nothing in between ? It must be a printing error or glitch in eBay system. Bidding is in small dollar increments. I think it was suppose to be $33.33, then $38.33.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

The problem with sniping  high. Two snipes at the end. n***a went in with a very high bid about 9 seconds before the auction ended. Then, c***n went in with a $333.33 with 5 seconds to go. c***n's bid was not high enough to out bid n***a but it made n***a pay $5 more, the minimum eBay increment at that level, to take the phone home. I suspect c***n is happy not to have over paid and n***a is shocked at having to pay that for that phone thanks to c***n's overly high bid.

For a few seconds, n***a thought he had the phone for about $30 but then that last second high bid by c***n bumped the price up.

Dan/Panther

That's right, had c**n not bid, n**a, would have won at $35.98.
If n**a withdraws his winning bid as an error, c**n will then win at $35.98.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Fabius

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 23, 2016, 02:35:48 AM
civil defense is still strong, but our warning system seems to be gone....I remember as a kid doing Air raid drills in school..... what would happen if a war were to come to the US.... would we be ready.... or would we be caught with our pants down? do we even have air raid shelters anymore????  how many people still remember this system....

As a kid in the 1950s & 60s I remember the drills and in the large apartment complex where we lived there was a Civil Defense shelter. I remember the large sealed 55 gal barrels of water marked CD Today civil defense is emergency management.

Back at the height of the cold war the US had anti aircraft Nike Hercules missile (which could have a nuclear warhead) batteries around the major US cites. The Royal Canadian Air Force had deployed the Bomarc air defense missile system in eastern Canada.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905