"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help IDing receiver ear cap please

Started by rfkimba, August 31, 2014, 11:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

Hi Guys,
On the right side of the picture is  a Stromberg Carlson end cap with multiple bevels(12) from a named Stromberg Carson receiver. I have seen this pattern on other photos of SC receivers on EBay.

To its left is an end cap from a named  Kellogg receiver with 12 little  rectangular notches near the inner rim. It does not match  the smooth rimmed Kelogg end caps I see selling on Ebay.

Can anyone identify the origen of  left end cap off the Kelogg?
It came off an Ebay large wall phone that was labeled  Kellogg but my research showed it was an Ericsson top boxand backboard with Kellogg transmitter, coil and receiver only.
Thanks
Bob

Russ62

Hi   Your receiver cap is a Kellogg variation. If you were to place it side by side with the ones you are used to seeing, you would see it has the exact same shape as the smooth one except for the for the additional bakelite angles between the notches. Perhaps this was an attempt at reinforcement. There's also a version that's like the common smooth one except for a groove around the outer edge of the cap. I have several models of the Kellogg wall phones because they're not rare at southern Calif. swap meets and I like them. However I have to search some to find the ones with the original finish that I prefer.        Russell