News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone tried Plast-Aid?

Started by savageje, April 17, 2015, 09:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savageje

I have finally worked up the time and the courage to continue the restoration of my Ivory Kellogg 700. Life got in the way, and the phone pretty much hasn't gone anywhere since I posted this thread in 2010:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2474.msg33652#msg33652

At any rate, I was doing a bit of research on various epoxies, and came across this stuff:

http://www.plast-aid.com

I am thinking that I might be able to use it to fill in the nasty hole in the handset.  I like the fact that it looks pretty forgiving and can be cast initially but can be worked easily as it firms up before it cures.  It isn't very expensive, so I think I could practice with it and see how it works for me before using it on my rare phone.

LarryInMichigan

That product looks very interesting and potentially very useful, but how can one color it?  The website states that color can be added, but where does one obtain the coloring?  Please keep us informed about the progress.

Larry

savageje

They claim that you can just add artist acrylic or wood stain when you initially mix the product to provide coloring.  I'm going to try that when I practice just to see what kind of finish I can obtain.  I'm curious as to how it sands and polishes too.

LarryInMichigan

I would expect that matching the color will be quite a challenge.  What type of plastic is the phone?  If it is a type which can be dissolved, it might be best to fill the hole to just below the top and then cover the surface with the transplanted plastic from another part so that it will match better.

Larry

savageje

I think the plastic is catalin.  Here is a photo of the hole in the handset.  I have some additional photos of the phone in my first thread about it:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1000.msg30699#msg30699

LarryInMichigan

It's probably plaskon.  That will not dissolve AFAIK.  You should glue the crack from the inside with super glue to keep the halves together.

Larry

savageje

After doing a bit more reading on catalin and plaskon, I think you are probably right.  The color on the handset and base is absolutely consistent.  It has developed a bit of patina on the exposed external parts, which is apparent when compared to the inside of the base.  Other than the cracks caused by the drilling of the hole, I see no signs of stress cracks or instability, even in the area where the plastic is curved and relatively thin.

WEBellSystemChristian

You should do some tests with a medium-shaded color, to see if it dries darker or lighter. You can take this into account when matching the color for the epoxy.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

There was a type of resin that I purchased from Hobby Lobby that seemed to match Western Electric 302 Ivory very, very well, it might work for this.

There were at least two types of resin there, and I can't remember which one I used. I'll let you know when I get back from school.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

savageje

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 07, 2015, 08:49:08 AM
There was a type of resin that I purchased from Hobby Lobby that seemed to match Western Electric 302 Ivory very, very well, it might work for this.

There were at least two types of resin there, and I can't remember which one I used. I'll let you know when I get back from school.

Thanks!  I saw the pictures of the repair you posted on your other thread, and it looks like you did a great job.  It seems like it might be a great color match.  At the very least, it will give me something to experiment with.